Wanting a dwarf lion

slammy16

I have been looking into getting a dwarf lionfish preferably a Fumanchu. My tank now is a reef tank though i do have a copperband and a potters angel with goodluck so far of them not picking at anything. If i got a dwarf would any fish pick at the lion? And is a fumanchu more difficult than lets say a fuzzy or another type of dwarf lion?

v-lioness

They are more difficult to keep than other dwarfs and can be tough to wean. If trying this lion in your reef, I would recommend weaning it first, try to wean this lion in your quarantine tank. Try ghost shrimp ( feed the shrimp some thing nutritional first ), or try mysis, smaller foods.
You should be fine as far as the fish you have with this lion. If getting this lion from your LFS, see if they will hold it for you (7 - 10 days) make sure it ships well, maybe you can start weaning this lion right at your LFS during the holding process.
Make sure you have plenty of overhangs and hiding spots, especially if you have high lighting.
Kaye

bkvreef

Originally Posted by V-Lioness
They are more difficult to keep than other dwarfs and can be tough to wean. If trying this lion in your reef, I would recommend weaning it first, try to wean this lion in your quarantine tank. Try ghost shrimp ( feed the shrimp some thing nutritional first ), or try mysis, smaller foods.
You should be fine as far as the fish you have with this lion. If getting this lion from your LFS, see if they will hold it for you (7 - 10 days) make sure it ships well, maybe you can start weaning this lion right at your LFS during the holding process.
Make sure you have plenty of overhangs and hiding spots, especially if you have high lighting.
Kaye
Dumb question (I know the saying 'there are no dumb questions, but I'm a math teacher trust me I know better)
When you say weaning do you mean smaller foods. Not similar to the fish they may be in with?

v-lioness

When you say weaning do you mean smaller foods. Not similar to the fish they may be in with?
The majority of lions when first purchased eat live food, which can become expensive overtime, they require saltwater live not freshwater live. So we wean lions over to eat a variety of frozen foods from a feeder stick, which can be a challenge in itself. Many times they eat the same food as other fish in the tank but larger chunks.
Hope this helps,
Kaye

bkvreef

Originally Posted by V-Lioness
The majority of lions when first purchased eat live food, which can become expensive overtime, they require saltwater live not freshwater live. So we wean lions over to eat a variety of frozen foods from a feeder stick, which can be a challenge in itself. Many times they eat the same food as other fish in the tank but larger chunks.
Hope this helps,
Kaye
Does help!! thank you. Again another dumb question. I know the reason for one but could you tell me what exactly is a feeder stick (or is it just a generic term used for something that goes in with food on it).

v-lioness

You can buy a feeder stick/prong from a LFS, they cost 1.50-2.00, just a thin clear acrylic rod with a slight bend. Many make their own out of thin clear tubing. Helps avoid accidental stings or bites when feeding.
Kaye