wanting to buy a panther grouper

i have the tank space, and the water quality isnt the best, but what should i be concernd about? other than it eating smaller fish.

1guydude

idk ive never owned one lol but i hope u do have the tank size, i believe they grow to be 17in. mainly a predator only tank im thinkin!

btldreef

I was under the impression that groupers fought with each other unless in very, very large (500+Gallon) tanks.

a 120gal in the making, i am getting rid of my old tank and upgrading to a new tank, after sadly i had a crash that got some of my livestock... so the panther grouper will have to wait a little

travelerjp98

yeah but if you have a place to put him and it's ALL PLANNED OUT!!! before you get him, he should be fine in a 120 in the earlier stages of his life.
But please don't get him if when he gets big you'll have no idea what to do with him!!!

the new plan is if i do get one, and he outgrows my tank, then it goes to my dads 290. or my friends 500 display tank at his shop. but do to my current tank overhaul, its gona be some time.

S

siptang

wow imagine the water changes on that monster...
I had a panther in my tank once. It was awesome fish, ate everything in it's sight and came up to the top to beg for food.
It was very cool in colors (changes by mood) but god it grew FAST!

1guydude

I want a panther grouper as well but my 75 could only hold one for a lil bit. Ive seen em for sale like 3-5in but im guessing in 6 months he would prob double in size with proper feeding lol..... I cant decide if i wanna do a pred tank or another reef in my 75....

travelerjp98

Let me just say that I love mine!
he's getting bigger and scarier every day!

him and my purple tang

scary looking big guy!!!! I love my grouper!!!
Did I tell you that I love my panther grouper???

S

siptang

Funny thing is that I caught a 10" panther grouper off the bridge on Tampa. Contemplated on putting in my tank but let him go lol.

S

siptang

Miami. I like to think of it as best of Florida because I'm smack in between all the oceans, keys, orlando and tampa.
yea, good thing I didn't put that panther in because one of my other buddy did and wasn't that nice to his other fish.
Couldn't find my pic with the fish but it was bit bigger then my friend's panther here.