Wanting to start a seahorse/pipefish tank..where to start?

C

childress5tyler

Currently I have a 90 and 20 gallon reef tank and a 60 gallon FOWLR tank and I really want a seahorse/pipefish tank...and I don't know where to start. I work for Premium Aquatics in Indiana and I was wondering if this tank would be good for seahorse/pipefish
http://***************.com/aquatic-supplies/TA-1267.html
just please, i really want one and don't really know where to go and would appreciate any advice on how to keep them..thanks to all :)

teresaq

That is only a three gal tank. Are you looking at dwarf horses and dwarf pipes???
if so then yes it would work, though not sure about the dwarf pipes as I have never kept them.
Dwarf horses require 2 day old enriched bbs
If you are looking at erectus or reidi horses, then no. Min tank size would be 30 gal for a pair of these horses
Also mixing captive bred horses with wild caught pipes is a big risk.
T

bender77

I agree with T. I would really recommend erectus or reidi for your first horses. And if you want to try and raise fry then erectus. With horses you with need species only tank. You can keep some fish and corals with horses but you have to be careful. I have a 37 g colum tank with erectus and I love it. Ask questions and we will do what we can to help. Make sure you read the stickies at the top of this forum.

flower

Get yourself a 30g or larger tall tank....that's the first step. I personally think dwarf SHs are for the experts and are lots of work. The Erectus are very hardy, and (well for me so far anyway) as easy as a regular fish. They eat frozen mysis shrimp, and like all SW fish, you have to keep compatible tank mates.

novahobbies

+1. That's a cute little tank for a couple of dwarf horses, but naught else. If you're looking at larger horses like H. erectus, get yourself a 30 tall or even a 45 (there's always an excuse to get a new tank!).