Warning: Dip all frags, regardless on where, and whom, you get them from

anonome

Hello all, I have had a almost disasterous experience with a new coral . Luckily for me, I have a common practice of dipping any new coral before entering the main display.
I bought a coral today off of an add in the local paper. A guy was thinning out his reef. It is a beautiful alveopora, approximately 2 years old. (or so the reefer said) It is about 7" when fully open, so I would say most likely. Of course, has he had it for 2 years?
Anyway, I bought it, came home and started to dip it and hundreds of rust flatworms emerged and as planned, and thankfully died. It is now in my quarantine tank for at least a few days to be sure I got them all. I have way too many coral to loose to "a good deal". I don't have a picture, but I will post it once it is introduced to the tank.
I really just wanted to let all newcomers and oldcomers to be careful. His tank was a beauty, and if I didn't do this on a regular basis, my tank could have been a feeding frenzy at the all you can eat buffet

What do you mean by "dipping" your coral, I am planning on getting into some coral and I'd like to know how to keep my tank as safe and clean as possible.

renogaw

basically you dip corals in freshwater to remove any flat worms that may be in there before they get into your tank. can take a couple dips i guess...i've never done it and probably will pay in the long run.

sk8shorty01

Your question was fine, so dont worry about the negative post. Although the search probably would have worked just think of it this way, he spent more time capturing that pic and posting a comment like that then it took for someone to type your answer.
Originally Posted by TangWhispr
The search feature works GREAT here. I have included a pic for you

A post like that is wasting more time than a search would, so if it doesnt help (without sarcasm) then dont waste a bunch of time. This is a site to get quick information on a hobby, not to belittle people.

peckhead

Originally Posted by TangWhispr
The search feature works GREAT here. I have included a pic for you

this thread is about dipping corals, why would you tell him to use the search when this is what the thread is about?

farslayer

Originally Posted by peckhead
this thread is about dipping corals, why would you tell him to use the search when this is what the thread is about?
Because he is a schmuck.

racerw

Dipping is done to all my new corals (LPS & SPS)...I either dip in Lugols or Tropic Marin. For my clams I dip in freshwater & scrub w/a toothbrush to get all the nasties off.

anonome

I used, and have used for 2 years now, Seachem Reef Dip. It is basicly a concentrated iodine. Use 1 capful for 1 gallon of tank water in a bucket. Mix thoroughly, and add the coral, clam, or anemone and wait 5 minutes. I have used it with all three...coral, clams and anemones. Works great.
In this case I honestly didn't see anything on the coral....a beautiful specimen. Much to my surprise within seconds they came out.
I dipped it again tonight, and nothing, so I put it in the main tank. My lighting in the qt is not sufficient for long term. It didn't open, but this is a normal thing. The dip makes it secrete a protective slime coat, so swish the coral in clean tank water to get rid of some of it before placing in the tank. Hopefully tomorrow, it will be a much happier coral.

farslayer

Gratzi, I'm gonna track down some of that stuff and maintain my dipping schedule. I've been lax and your post reminds me that there's no reason not to do it.

anonome

Absolutely, it is a very simple method, and after seeing this over the weekend I am now a firm believer!!
I never had anything come out of my corals before this....guess I was lucky. Almost unlikely if I had put it in the main tank.

anonome

That was interesting and informative, however, 2 hours......versus 5 minutes? the Reef Dip is iodine, and corals need iodine to grow, so for me I would rather use something that absolutely will not harm the coral, than a pesticide. This is just me.
It is concentrated, so it kills the bugs right away.
Thanks for sharing that method.

maxalmon

Originally Posted by renogaw
basically you dip corals in freshwater to remove any flat worms that may be in there before they get into your tank. can take a couple dips i guess...i've never done it and probably will pay in the long run.
You dip your corals in freshwater?

anonome

Originally Posted by TexasMetal
I have never tried this, but our former local aquarium society president swears by this stuff... Interceptor (flea and tick prevention for pets)
http://www.melevsreef.com/redbugs.html
He's a reefkeeping ninja, as you will see if you check out his website.
Maybe red bugs are more resistant to the iodine dip, but what I had was definately rust flatworms.