Washing my Livesand

cogreywolf

I am in the process of upgrading my 60 gallon to a 75 gallon tank. When I pull the live sand out of the 60 gallon tank, should I rinse the sand with saltwater from my tank, to stir up all of the detris and debris? Or should I just scoop it into my new tank?
Lastly, for a FOWLR, should I have a DSB in my new setup?
Please help. Setting up my new tank on Friday.:confused:

jcsurfn

I would say yes go for the DSB. As for transfering the sand I do nto know. I hope some else can help you there. I also would like to know so when I do that some day.

acez28

i would say yes if you are gonna try to go thru another cycle but if you are just transferring from one tank to another one then i say no. JMO

flamehawk

DO NOT RINSE YOUR LIVE SAND. YOU WILL DESTROY ALL THE POSITIVE REASONS FOR HAVING LS TO BEGIN WITH. JUST TRANSFER THE SAND TO NEW TANK. BE SURE TO KEEP IT AS WET AS POSSIBLE SO AS NOT TO HAVE ANY DIE OFF FROM THE TRANSFER. MY SUGGESTION IS THAT YOU PUT ABOUT 2 INCHES OF WATER IN NEW TANK AND TRANFER THE LS SLOWLY INTO NEW TANK. LET IT SETTLE FOR ABOUT HALF HOUR THEN CONTINUE FILLING UP THE TANK WITH THE SAME WATER AS IN THE 65. TOP IT OFF AND YOUR IN BUSINESS. DON'T EVER RINSE OUT LIVE SAND WHETHER BOUGHT FROM THE STORE OR TRANSFERRING FROM ANOTHER TANK. GOOD LUCK...I'M GLAD YOU POSTED.

cogreywolf

I have a major problem if this tank decides to cycle again. I am taking down my 65 gallon tank and putting up a new 75 gallon tank. I currently have livestock in the 65 gallon tank. I was hoping with the live sand, live rock, established bioballs, and a new Euro Reef CS6-1 skimmer, that I could stop the tank from having a new cycle.
Should I add more cured live sand or cured live rock during this process? Or should I only put in the new tank what I currently have in the old tank.
Please help.

chef jaysen

I would say there is no chance of you escaping from a new cycle. I mixed up/ cleaned my ls and filters and caused a mini cyle so I would say you will probably at best get a small cycle. I would proubably keep the 60 running and set up the 75 and transfer after stable. Add water/ls/transfer lr and start the cyle in new tank and then add the remaining ls after stable. But then again i know nothing........just throwing in a bone.........good luck:D
Cheers...

cogreywolf

What would you do if you couldn't leave both systems running. My new 75 gallon tank will be sitting on the 65 gallon tanks stand. My situation is that I will be completely tearing down my 65 and setting up my 75. Does anyone think it is possible to skip a mini or complete cycle.
Transferring from a 65 gallon system II with a 2" live sand bed and approximately 75 lbs of live rock. The tank has a built in wet/dry trickle filter and I have a Berlin Prizm hang-on protein skimmer.
Transferring to: a 75 gallon glass tank with a built in overflow. Euro-fil 180 sump with a Euro-reef CS6-1 protein skimmer, Lifeguard 300 Fluidized bed, and plenty of established bioballs to put in the overflow for added temporary filtration. Tank has 4 built-in returns which have a combined flow of approximately 1000GPH.
Is there anything I should do differently or change to help me get through this?
:confused:

P

pirate_bob

I would personally set up a QT tank for your livestock... you'll have to do water changes everday on it so you don't have a cycle in it.... the cycle in your new tank shouldn't take more than a week or two with everything already having the bacteria in it....
HTH