Waste of Money

meowzer

LOL....I guess they can't think of any other way to waste money then to redesign the penny

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com..._blg=1,1653059
U.S. Mint rolls out a new penny
The Lincoln Cent has been redesigned again. But not everyone is celebrating.
Posted by Money Staff on Wednesday, February 24, 2010 12:18 PM
This post comes from Anna Vander Broek of MSN Money.
Those of you who still use the penny as currency (rather than as a screwdriver or for scratching off lottery tickets) may soon notice America’s 1-cent coin has gotten a facelift.
The U.S. Mint has changed the design for the reverse -- or “tails” -- side of the 2010 Lincoln Cent, which entered circulation on Feb. 11 (everywhere but Puerto Rico, which received the new penny in late January). Michael White from the U.S. Mint says penny inventory is very high, however, so you may not see a new penny right away.
The U.S. Mint kicked off the release of the new penny during a ceremony at the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum in Springfield, Ill. The design was chosen out of 18 candidates. Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner made the final call.
•See how the dollar is doing today
The penny’s new reverse side features a union shield with 13 vertical stripes and a scroll draped across reading “One Cent.” (Check your nearest couch cushion and you’ll see the old penny portrays the Lincoln Memorial.) The Web site of the U.S. Mint explains that the stripes represent the 13 original states and the banner signifies “a single union in support of the federal government.” The new penny’s front face will continue to illustrate President Lincoln, designed by American sculptor Victor David Brenner back in 1909.
•Bing: Penny stocks to buy now
The 2010 penny follows the four different reverse designs, each one depicting a stage of Lincoln’s life, used on the 2009 Lincoln pennies. The special pennies were produced last year to commemorate the bicentennial of Lincoln’s birth and the 100th anniversary of the Lincoln Cent.
A penny for your thoughts
Not everyone is excited about the prospect of a new penny. Some would rather see the coin disappear altogether. The anti-penny group Citizens for Retiring the Penny explains on its Web site why it believes the penny is a waste of time and money.
The half penny was eliminated in 1858, when it was worth over 10 times what the penny is worth today. Assuming that the timing was correct before, this means that we should have eliminated the penny 50 years ago.
Some Americans won’t even accept the penny as currency. Alko Office Supply, owned by Gary Shows in downtown Berkeley, Calif., has a sign hanging over the cash register that reads, "We are a penny free store,” reports NPR.org in a story debating the worth of the penny.
Even President Obama seems to think the penny has overstayed its welcome. “We have been trying to eliminate the penny for quite some time -- it always comes back,” he said at a press conferience in 2008, according to a blog post on Politico.com. (Although in 2005 when Obama was a senator from Illinois, he co-sponsored the Abraham Lincoln Bicentennial One-Cent Coin Redesign Act, which required the new penny designs in 2009 and 2010.)
A penny actually costs more to make than it's worth. In 2009, the unit cost to produce the penny was 1.62 cents, according to the U.S. Mint.
Find a penny, pick it up
The penny still has many fans. Pro-penny group Americans for Common Cents "aims to inform and educate policymakers, consumers and the media about the penny’s economic, cultural and historical significance." The group also emphasizes the penny’s importance for charity through organizations such as Penny Lovers of America and Habitat for Humanity’s Parade of Pennies.
A poll conducted by Coinstar in 2006 found that only 27% of Americans want to get rid of the penny. Four out of five Americans will still pick up a penny on the ground.

reefraff

Prime example of why I am a conservative. Government does an exceptional job of screwing things up or spending a dollar to save a quarter.
I saw just do away with the penny and round to the nearest nickle.
I made fun of my stepdad for saving a bag full of 1970's pennies. I ain't laughing any more. Well maybe I am, I have the bag of pennies.

uneverno

Originally Posted by reefraff
http:///forum/post/3235557
Prime example of why I am a conservative. Government does an exceptional job of screwing things up or spending a dollar to save a quarter.
I saw just do away with the penny and round to the nearest nickle.
I made fun of my stepdad for saving a bag full of 1970's pennies. I ain't laughing any more. Well maybe I am, I have the bag of pennies.

Pre '82 pennies are pure copper. Worth 3 cents each just in raw metal. That's why we changed to copper plated zinc...
Nickels are worth 8 cents each in Nickel. It started w/ gold, and subsequently silver, but that's why it's illegal to melt coins down for the metal value.
That's also why the former Eastern Block minted coins from aluminum. No matter how worthless they were on the foreign exchange market, they were highly unlikely to become worth more than their agreed upon face value, thus insuring that, unlike here, no private citizen could make an illegal profit on the metal in the coin.
Silly Communists...

reefforbrains

Boy I know I am outnumbered on this one but the Cent has it's place in commerce. Fractional change allows tighter margins and more diversity in the marketplace.
More exact pricing of widgets that can be both quantified for distribution but also dissasembled again at market to recapture the complete sale without either side (Buyer or Seller) being stuck to absorb the hidden fractions associated with volume when you cannot break the items out for single prices.
The price to make the coin is important to consider but more important is the purpose. The purpose is for convenience and safety of the citizens to have a standardized vehicle for exchange. To be able to trade goods and services within a uniformly understood system.
The saying "bad money drives out good" is more of natural selection. For instance pre 1964 silver coinage are worth approx 12x face value just to MELT them......so people pluck them from circulation when they find them and then do exactly that. What is left is the junk clad coinage we have common today.
Pre 1982 pennies were comprised of a high enough copper content that the bullion value exceeds .01c each. No not PURE as many people think but still high enough that it presents an issue. This is not the fault of the gov or the coin itself. It is inflation and just another fact of life when you are dealing with anything that is made from a finite resource such as any precious metal. Silver and gold are quick to see but when you consider the extreme volumes required for coinage even copper, nickel, steel or otherwise you are stuck with the market laws of supply and demand. Dont blame the coin.
Inflation would be sharp without the cent. Would it destroy the whole economy? Of course not....but those that think of the 1 cent coin as a waste of time often change their minds when you present the macro effects of such a barrier in negotiations between buyers and sellers.