Water Change Accident - Can it be corrected?

hexagon30

Supernoob strikes again.
I did a water test and because I had some ammonia in the water, water conditions were perfect about 2 days ago.
So I decide to change about 10% but I did not used treated water(salted), I had the old habit of getting filtered water from the fridge and changed the water with that.
Will it restart the cycle or with only 10% it's not really going to affect too much?
I have 1 domino, 2 chromis and a cleaner wrasse in the tank.
What should I do?
1. For water changes
2. Feeding to keep ammonia down.
I have about 25 lbs of live rock in there and live sand to help the conditions out.

moray345

it shouldnt affect much but for future water changes premix saltwater in a large container and aerate thern its there whenever you need it

ophiura

I am confused -
1) did your tank already cycle? How much are you feeding? How old is the tank?
2) Did you use fresh water in the water change? Is that what you mean by not using treated (salt) water? If so, this is not the best thing to do. You don't want to suddenly change salinity, and a 10% change in smaller tanks can be pretty significant. In addition, if it is from the fridge, wouldn't it be cold? So this could be a sudden change in temperature, also quite bad.
Shouldn't restart the cycle if the tank has cycled, but not a good practice.

hexagon30

Originally posted by ophiura
I am confused -
1) did your tank already cycle? How much are you feeding? How old is the tank?
2) Did you use fresh water in the water change? Is that what you mean by not using treated (salt) water? If so, this is not the best thing to do. You don't want to suddenly change salinity, and a 10% change in smaller tanks can be pretty significant. In addition, if it is from the fridge, wouldn't it be cold? So this could be a sudden change in temperature, also quite bad.
Shouldn't restart the cycle if the tank has cycled, but not a good practice.

I'm sorry for not elaborating, I panic posted :)
Yes the tank is cycled.
So I should check the salinity then add more salt mix if needed.
So the best thing to do is keep treated water in a container somewhere with a power head and heater?
How often should I change water in the 30 Hex? and How much?
How many fishes can I keep in there if I want corals and inverts later on ?
I will have the lighting requirements.
Thanks

ophiura

A general rule of thumb is 30% water change per month...you can do it at once but it is probably easier and maybe better to split it into 2 or maybe more. If you can mix the saltwater a few days before, or even the day before, that is best. Leave it mixing with a heater. It is best to at least give the water a couple of hours to mix if you don't have the time to do it in advance. Do try to match the salinity and pH of your tank water to avoid major disturbances.
You have a problem tank, IMO. Not easy to work with that system in terms of filtration, circulation and stocking. I think your still in the 4 or 5 small fish range but it depends on water quality, territoriality issues, and how much LR, etc. If you want to add corals and such, I would definitely stay on the lighter side with stocking. What sort of fish are you interested in?
Does your cleaner wrasse eat prepared foods? Most do not, and are not suitable for keeping with small fish...they starve to death. If it does eat prepared food, you are lucky.

hexagon30

The Wrasse for some reason is eating OK with the brine shrimp, but the guy's only been in the tank for a week, so I'll observe.
Thanks for the water changing tip, I'll do that from now on.
We kind of got the tank for aesthetic reasons, if it were up to me I would have gotten at least a 55.
This forum is a great resource for starters like me. At least it will be sort of manageable for now.

ophiura

If you are not trying already, try soaking the brine in zoe or selcon, or even letting it sit with microvert (so the brine eat it). This fortified the brine, which are otherwise nutritionally poor. Then see if he'll swith to other things and hope for the best!

hexagon30

Originally posted by ophiura
If you are not trying already, try soaking the brine in zoe or selcon, or even letting it sit with microvert (so the brine eat it). This fortified the brine, which are otherwise nutritionally poor. Then see if he'll swith to other things and hope for the best!

I tried mysis this morning and the wrasse ate that too :jumping:
Mysis a little better isnt it?