Water Change ? and a few other ???

angelapound

Sorry for all the questions all at once! I have a 15 gal that I setup 1 week ago and it is currently cycling. I have a few questions.
How often do I need to do a water change and how many gallons should I do at a time? At what point should I do my first water change?
I'm using distilled bottled water that I got at walmart (great value brand), is that ok? It says it was processed by carbon filtration, distillation, microfiltration, and ozonation.
I plan on keeping corals and a few fish. I want things like zoos, mushrooms, maybe a frogspawn, xenia, star polyps...things like that. I'd also like to get two clowns and maybe a goby of some sort and some inverts too.
When I do get the corals, do I need to test for anything other than ph, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, calcium, and alkalinity?
Do I need to 'feed' the corals or will they thrive just from having sufficient lighting and good water parameters?
What are the ideal calcium and alkalinity readings for corals? I've added a kalkwasser mix to my top off water.
After the cycle is complete, how long so I wait before adding corals? Should I add the fish first, or the corals, or does it matter? Also, when can I add the cleanup crew?
Ok...I think that is all for now! :thinking:
Thanks so much...us newbies sure couldn't make it without you guys!!!!

patandlace

For water changes I would do 10% every week. You could do 20% every other week or 1% daily if you wanted.Whatever works best for you. Do your first water change after your cycle is complete. You should use RO water for changes. They sell it at walmart in a machine. You should test for phosphates too. The corals should be fed regularly. You could use phytoplankton and zooplankton. Ideal readings are calcium 400-450. DKH 8-11. I think that was all the questions. Good luck. Hope I helped.

92protruck

test for magnesium as long as your testing for ca and alk. 10% weekly is the rule of thumb as mentioned but I would do a little more in such a small tank. It is easy to over feed, over dose additives, add to much coral food, etc. and the smaller the tank the harder it is to keep good water quality. I might change 2 - 2.5 gal per week. Since everything is harder with a small tank I would invest in an RODI for best possible water. Although most have good luck with the water machines, they can get dirty filters and such and your water quality may suffer. Your own machine guarantees the best quality water. (saves trips to Walmart too). Most of the corals you mentioned will do just fine with good light and good water, IMO. I would be hesitant to add coral foods, phytoplankton, zooplanlton, etc. with those corals because water quality will likely suffer unless you have superior filtration.