Water change question!

PoppyD88

I just finished cycling my 55 gallon tank and it has 50lbs of live rock. I cycled it with Dr Tim’s ammonia, table shrimp, and the ghost fish food method. My ammonia and nitrites have spiked and decreased. Nitrate has been readable. Should I do a water change before I put new fish in, or should I not change the water?

beaslbob

I recommend using macro algae but that's just me and my .02

with or without a water change, I would try a few male mollies to help the cycle and check the system. Better to lose a $2 molly (better yet to not lose it. LOL), than more expensive marine only fish

But that's just more of my .02

SALTWAT3RFISH

Administrator
Staff member
I recommend using macro algae but that's just me and my .02

with or without a water change, I would try a few male mollies to help the cycle and check the system. Better to lose a $2 molly (better yet to not lose it. LOL), than more expensive marine only fish

But that's just more of my .02
The problem with mollies is that they will thrive in a bucket of peepee lol. If you have added bacteria, fed it regularly and seen the chemical tells of ammonia and nitrite. You're probably good to start with a pair of clownfish. Continue to monitor the water quality and do small weekly water changes.