water changes and evaporation

chris200058

I have a 125 gallon tank with a 38 gallon overflow tank. It seems like about 5 gallons evaporate per week.
Do I still need to do a water change when all this water keeps evaporating?
It seems odd to do a 10% water change every other week when I am adding that much water anyway?
Can someone please advise me on a way to slow down the evaporation in my tank the overflow is open top because of the skimmer is so tall. my overflow tank is about 2.5 feet long and 1.5 feet tall and the skimmer is about 2 feet tall so as my way of doing it is to put towels over the tank for one to muffel the sound but also to stop any spashing out of the tank area.
My overflow is sitting out in the open because it is to big to fit under the stand as I bought the wrong type of stand it has compartments instead of being open all the way accross on bottom with doors.
I have seen many people with tanks that are open top and wonder how you all do the water changes and deal with the evaporation?
Any help would be appreciated.
Chris

coorsxman

will will always need to do water changers, i have a 180 i know i dont take out alot but i do mine every week about 25-30 gallons and i blow my rocks off, went up ad water make sure up leave it sit with a power head in it to mix up the salt, afso with the water evap , it just happands

S

sebae0

you still need to do water changes because only water evaporates out. the salt and waste stay behind and actually their levels rise as water evaporates. i have a 180 with open top and lose about 3-4 gals a day and i do a 30 gal water change once a month.

slick

As stated above, water is the only thing that evaps. You need to do a water change to replenish trace elements and other stuff that is essential to a healthy tank. If you slow your evap your tanks temp will rise. That is how your tanks cools itself down.

goldrush

I hope when you add water(from evaporation),you are adding fresh water,not salt. As already stated the evaporated water is fresh only. By the way,5 gallons a week from a 125 is not excessive at all. I add a gallon a day to my 55. Good luck.