Water changes at first - frequency and amount??

gksipps

How often and how much should you change the water after it is cycled? We are getting conflicting reports from many of the fish stores (and even from two differet peope working in the same store!!), which I think is the problem with our tank. Some say don't do any water changes, some say just add the water that naturally evaporates, but then in the testkit booklets, it says to change water to reduce ammonia, nitrates, nitrites, and keep potential for diseases low...
And hubby says we should change the filter in the wet/dry, but the store said no, don't change it. Argh! Can anyone help?

S

sinner's girl

Is the tank cycled?
what are the nitrates?
yes, you should do a wc do get rid of the nitrates before adding any fish/inverts.
about much is for the most part up to you.
what size is your tank?
Me? I'd do 15-20%, depending on the nirtates. maybe only 10% if it's a small tank.
how often you do wc is up to you. some people do weekly, every two weeks or monthly or none at all. we did every two weeks about 5-7gl (whatever percent that is of 55) for a little while, then once a month, now we rarely do them. if the levels in the water are good we don't mess with it. if something is wrong or the nitrates are <20 we do wc. we also do one before adding new fish, or if the cc looks really bad (or if I feel guilty about not doing one). some people never do them and thier tanks do fine. It's depends on your tank and you.