Water changes during cycle?

newsalt16

I was wondering if you are supposed to do water changes during a cycle or wait until its over and then do like 20%? I thought you were supposed to wait until the end and then do one but i was talking with someone the other day and they said every couple weeks during the cycle. I was just wondering what u guys did? Thanks

azaintcold

I made the mistake of doing one. it just prolongs it. Stay away from the water changes until the cycle is over. The only exception is if your ammonia spikes above 1. Good luck.

newsalt16

thank you! Im npt cycling a tank now but im helping a friend start one. He just finished his cycle, and i told him not to do one because i too thought it just prolonged the cycle. Thanks for verifying!!

bang guy

Lots of water changes. Lots & lots of water changes to keep your live rock healthy and full of diverse life.

monalisa

Originally Posted by Bang Guy
Lots of water changes. Lots & lots of water changes to keep your live rock healthy and full of diverse life.
I did not realize that. I'm a real advocate of regular water changes (I don't have a sump or fuge or anything) so this really makes me feel more confidence in that. I would assume that this is true for established tanks as well. Good info...I'll definitely take it to heart.
Lisa

azaintcold

This matter was such a 50/50 discussion when I cycled my 150 gallon, then when I finally did the water change during the cycle everyone jumped down my throat. lol. So I leave you with this :