Water Changes during cycling

deegrimes

Hey people I would like to know how many if any of you do water changes while cycling your tank. The first time I set up my tank I never did water changes but this time I am wondering if I should be. The tank is probably not actually gonna cycle as I have my same live rock and the pump still running but I know my nitrates are way up in it. I redid my tank and put everything into qt after I had a serious bout of brook. I changed my cc to sand so basically started all over. I am letting the tank run 3 weeks before I put anything back in the regardless just to make sure or try to make sure it is free of brook. Any responses would be appreciated thanks

birdy

Water changes are fine during the cycle, since you put all new sand in the tank it would be a good idea for you to feed your tank like you had several fish in it, I would feed it every day, this will boost your biological filtration so that it can handle it when you put your fish back in the tank. But like you said, since you put your old LR back in the tank there is a good possibilty you will not have a cycle at all.