water changes

whiterose

I have heard and many people state that they rarely do water changes. I am wondering how you keep the appropriate water parameters considering that phosphates are not taken out of the water on a regular basis thereby increasing the nitrates in the tank that cause problems such as red slime or green algae, not to mention other problems that are likely to occur.
Right now I have a serious green hair algae problem and the more I try to correct the problem, the more algae I get. I was told not to change the water so often (I am doing a water change of 10% to 20%, depending on how much algae I have to remove) because I am giving the algae more oxygen to breed creating even more algae.
Since I have done everything I know to relieve the algae problem, I am beginning to think maybe I should try to leave the water alone, if I can stand it, and see what happens.
Any advice?

reefnut

Tell us a little about your system... size, age, inhabitants, skimmer, refuge, LR, LS... etc...
What is your water source?? If you're adding nutrients in the tank during the water change then they are not helping... if not, they are.
Algae consumes CO2 and produces O2 during photosynthesis... adding O2 through water changes is irrelevant.

whiterose

I have a 75 gal tank and I put in idione, calcium, and strombium on a weekly basis. I use R/O water and have a wet/dry filter with skimmer. The chemistry levels of the water are as recommended. I have mainly corals and very few fish.

bseth90

I had this problem years ago and phased out the strombium. But to correct it I kept the lights off for a few days...this won't work for you obviously. I rarely do water changes anymore 10% here and there, but my tank is seven years old. Good luck.