water changes?

sandsifter

Just curious what the percentage and the frequency that most of you do. I have a 75gal with only 7 corals, 4 fish, and lots of live rock. I change 10gal every 2 weeks. Is that sufficient?

G

gsxr1100

I do a 5 gallons per week in my 75 (really a 65 with DSB). Which is 8% every sunday night!

dogstar

I do about about 40% every two months or so, Sometimes I dont even think I need to after test show things are fine but I do them anyway.

G

gsxr1100

Originally Posted by SANDSIFTER
Thanks for the replies. My water parameters are fine, just curious what everyone else did.
Also you should do them montly, weekly the best, since you will add trace elements etc.

jessecnc

Shouldn't water changes be dictated by Bioload? I have a 30gal. tank that only has 3 small fish, 1 finger leather coral, and a dozen or so snails and hermits. I change about 5gal. (~15%) once a month or so. Everything is healthy and happy and my tests come out perfect. So...I see no need to waste salt if the goodies in it are not being used up.
If there is another reason beyond replenishing calcium and other trace elements, please let me know. I don't want to hurt anything, I'm just trying to save a buck.

troyrb

I do a 20% water change once a month on my 60 gallon reef. I have even went for two months without a water change and my water levels were still perfectly fine. Of course new fresh water is being added daily though the automatic topoff. My tank is well established. If you have a newer tank I would do a 10% water change once a week.

1journeyman

Originally Posted by JesseCNC
Shouldn't water changes be dictated by Bioload?
Makes sense to me... water can get "old" though. If your pH begins to waver it's definitely time for a water change.
I would err on the side of caution though and do water changes more frequently then you think you need too.

viper_930

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
If your pH begins to waver it's definitely time for a water change.
That would also be a good time to check your alk too.
I change 15% on my 36g weekly. I only have one fish right now, but my tank is stuffed with corals, including SPS.

escape2thewater

I do about 10% WC every month or so on my reef tank, & about 15% or so on my eel tank every couple months or whenever I think about it, whichever comes first... I know I shoud do better with this but I havent had any issue with either tank so im not too worried about it..
Escape
:happyfish