Water changes

bellanavis

Ok guys, I know this has been asked before, but I searched, and I could not find the answer. Is it better to do a weekly little water change, or a monthly big water change?
:happyfish :notsure:

fgcu14

depending on what you have in your tank. I have had my tank running for about three months now and I just did my second change. I don't really do a monthy or weekly water change. My approach is to change as my paramiters change.
I wouldn't recommend this but I have a friend who has had a reef for about 1 year now and has never changed the water. Never had anything die on him.

bellanavis

Ok, thanks guys, here is what I have been doing. I have a 125 gallon tank, I have been doing about a 25 gallon water change every week.

my way

If you do weekly changes, there is less chance of trace elements being used up and less chance of pollutants to build up over a months time. My opinion, not based on any facts, but it makes sense to me. I do 25% each week.
I think a lot off it has to do with your system and it's bio-load.

lion_crazz

Weekly water changes are going to be more effective in keeping your tank more clean and the trace elements replenished.

fgcu14

Originally Posted by fishy head
never ever changed the water,,, not once :scared:
:scared:
YEah I couldn't believe it either