water changes

pookman

i have a 30 gallon reef and anybody have a
suggestion on how many gallons to take out
when i do my weekly water change..my system has been up and running for 3 months..pookman :cool:[*]null
  • water change

grouperhead

first of, welcome to the best, nicest, and most informative bb on the net! now on to your question. well, it is really up to you. i would reccomend getting a 5 gallon bucket and just filling that up. i have a predator tank and a semi-reef and do a predator water change of 15 gallons(75 gallon tank) every other to 3 weeks, and on my 38 semi-reef i do a 5 gallon change weekly. hth, bi

pufferlover

On my 58 full reef I do about 4 gallons a week and clean the inside front glass (leave the sides and back alone. It has been trouble free for over a year following that schedule.

wolffam

Currently on a schedule of 25% a month. But will start next month with a bi-weekly change amount to 30% a month. This will be easier as I want have to handle as much water at one time.

burnnspy

It depends on what is in the tank(bioload) and what the water parameters are.
I change 1gal a week on my 29gal reef for trace elements only because the water has no pollutants(0 PO4 and 0 NO3).
BurnNSpy

pufferlover

I also am trying to cut back a bit on some of my smaller stocked tanks as doing 10 tanks a week was a bit much. I have it now where I do 5 every week and 5 every other week which still gives me 10 every other week. I frankly enjoy that part of the hobby (guess I.m a bit weird that way), but looking at a clean happy tank gives me satisfaction (and the lfs owner too he loves the salt buckets I buy).