Water circulation

fishman7663

Some advice please. So, I have a 10 gallon running now with a Whisper 20-40 HOB filter, which has a 240 GPH rating, setup on the left side of the tank. No other source of circulation is in the tank.
Would it be recommended that I buy a powerhead for the right side and if so, what size and type of powerhead would you recommend?

snakeblitz33

I've seen some 10g nano tanks with just the mechanical filter on the side of it. Though, one beautiful nano I saw did have a koralia 240 nano on the other side. If you are going for a reef tank, depending on what you are going to keep, the next size up might be what you are looking for.

fishman7663

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33 http:///t/392522/water-circulation#post_3485897
I've seen some 10g nano tanks with just the mechanical filter on the side of it. Though, one beautiful nano I saw did have a koralia 240 nano on the other side. If you are going for a reef tank, depending on what you are going to keep, the next size up might be what you are looking for.
I am going for just a FOWLR tank. I am just a beginner at this saltwater hobby, therefore I want to get this down pat before I even try a Reef tank.

1guydude

even with FO imo its best to have good water circulation...best add one 1050 or even two 750s! Good to have one powerhead pointing upwards kinda towards the top for surface airagation or watever its called....lol oxygen!

fishman7663

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1guyDude http:///t/392522/water-circulation#post_3485930
even with FO imo its best to have good water circulation...best add one 1050 or even two 750s! Good to have one powerhead pointing upwards kinda towards the top for surface airagation or watever its called....lol oxygen!
I checked out the 750 and the 1050. Wouldn't that be a little to powerful for a 10 Gallon?

1guydude

lol ya sry u caught me! I missed that part....get one 450 or two 240s.... I used to have a 10g thats now a sump...
should have a thread here somewheres!
I ran one 50w heater, enhim hob filter, one par38, than later i got a skimmer...
best get a lil nano powerhead though at least

fishman7663

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1guyDude http:///t/392522/water-circulation#post_3486136
lol ya sry u caught me! I missed that part....get one 450 or two 240s.... I used to have a 10g thats now a sump...
should have a thread here somewheres!
I ran one 50w heater, enhim hob filter, one par38, than later i got a skimmer...
best get a lil nano powerhead though at least
That's more along the lines of what I was thinking...thanks all for the advice

snakeblitz33

I'd personally go with a Koralia 450 nano to be honest. A little more circulation is better then less, as the dude pointed out.
You really should look into a PAR38 LED light. Some of them are even customizable with a remote control as to what colors that you want. Even if it's just a fish only tank - you may just want that flexibility. The bonus is that you can also use the same light later for the same tank and make it a reef once you get some experience under your belt.
I wish you the best of luck and I hope to read a lot more threads from you in the coming weeks!!!!!! Welcome to the forums again.

1guydude

Ive even seen some par38s with one red in em, i plan on getting a couple to test out soon in the near future.

snakeblitz33

Cool.. I'll have to keep that in mind. I haven't seen any - but I haven't been looking either. Good to know. :D

fishman7663

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33 http:///t/392522/water-circulation#post_3486210
I'd personally go with a Koralia 450 nano to be honest. A little more circulation is better then less, as the dude pointed out.
You really should look into a PAR38 LED light. Some of them are even customizable with a remote control as to what colors that you want. Even if it's just a fish only tank - you may just want that flexibility. The bonus is that you can also use the same light later for the same tank and make it a reef once you get some experience under your belt.
I wish you the best of luck and I hope to read a lot more threads from you in the coming weeks!!!!!! Welcome to the forums again.
I like the PAR38...now more questions, sorry:
There are so many choices, I have seen 12W, 15W, 3000K...what kind of wattage and what brand would I need? And what kind of lamp fixture (I see that it has a regular screw-in base like a regular light bulb) do you use for this type of LED setup?

1guydude

they are basic E26 or E27 i think screw in style bulb, same as 60w reg light bulb...the real thing to be aware of is enough light... u want at least 5 3w leds or 12-15 1w leds in ur par38s...
the K is the kelvin temp or color of the spectrum or something. Basically 10-12k is more white, 15-20k more blue and 20k+ is purple....hard to say cause i think everyone sees and manufactures colors diffrently...kinda like no eye sees the same imo.
I do use par38s but for some with wider optics, they need to be every six inches and placed farther above the tank. If ur tank is tall than it wont matter. If its shallow u will want 60-80deg optixs
HTHs

fishman7663

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1guyDude http:///t/392522/water-circulation#post_3486344
they are basic E26 or E27 i think screw in style bulb, same as 60w reg light bulb...the real thing to be aware of is enough light... u want at least 5 3w leds or 12-15 1w leds in ur par38s...
the K is the kelvin temp or color of the spectrum or something. Basically 10-12k is more white, 15-20k more blue and 20k+ is purple....hard to say cause i think everyone sees and manufactures colors diffrently...kinda like no eye sees the same imo.
I do use par38s but for some with wider optics, they need to be every six inches and placed farther above the tank. If ur tank is tall than it wont matter. If its shallow u will want 60-80deg optixs
HTHs
Thank you sir, sounds good

fishman7663

Quote:
Originally Posted by lol http:///t/392522/water-circulation#post_3490404
So, what did you go with?
I found an old Aquaclear 10 power head that I had for one of my old tanks. Temporarily, I added that to my tank. It adds a little circulation, but that is better than nothing. With both the Whisper filter and power head flow, it seems like a pretty good flow going. I am already itching to put in some coral, but I will not because I know I do not have the proper setup.