Water clearity?

peppy

Tank is up and running fine cycled in about 12 days. Clean up crew working hard and most of all LR is looking nice, took another 4 days. Lots of debris drifting around LS and water is still not very clear? How long does it take for water to start clear up or am I supposed to do something to make it clear up?

timsedwards

what you need is activated carbon. this polishes the water brilliantly and can just sit in your external cannister if you have one. That will make is super-dooper clear :D
Tim.

peppy

Thanks guys. The Carbon is already there. The LFS that came over and threw everything together put the carbon in the built in W/D on initial set up. Should I have changed it post cycle? Tank has been up and running for 18 days.
I am trying work this tank as natural as possible and don't want to add any chems if I can help it.

timsedwards

ok how long has the carbon been in there? you should ideally replace it after 4-6 weeks. Im not sure about keeping in there when you are cycling. personally i would leave it out until you are done.
All the best,
Tim.

jumpfrog

Your tank cycled very fast, if you mean your ammonia and nitrites are always now zero. However, your bacteria population is probably continuing to grow. You'll see some cloudiness just from the bloom of bacteria. This will settle in due time and coat everything in the tank. Your water clarity will improve. The carbon will help, but basically, it's a new tank and you're going to see a series of these events until it completely settles.
Congrats and keep us posted on your progress.