Water Evaporation

reefman22

1) Get glass lids for your tank. It will slow down evap. and also keep in some fish prone to jumping.
2) Make sure there is no A/C vent or fans blowing directly or near the surface of your tank.
3) Make sure no pumps or powerheads are pumping directly at the top of the water causing more surface area for evap.
any help?
reefman

saltn00b

evaporation is a good thing. it helps keep your tank temp in check. and by encouraging it, you can cheaply keep the temp down without the use of costly and inefficient chillers and the like.
my tank is over twice the volume of yours and i go through 5 gallons every 48 hours.
if you dont want to deal with the process of topping off, look into auto-top off solutions.
glass on the tank will effect your lighting, and will inhibit gas exchange, especially if you dont have a sump.

kevinch67

Originally Posted by saltn00b
http:///forum/post/2918721
evaporation is a good thing. it helps keep your tank temp in check. and by encouraging it, you can cheaply keep the temp down without the use of costly and inefficient chillers and the like.
my tank is over twice the volume of yours and i go through 5 gallons every 48 hours.
if you dont want to deal with the process of topping off, look into auto-top off solutions.
glass on the tank will effect your lighting, and will inhibit gas exchange, especially if you dont have a sump.
Thanks for the help. Does the amount of evaporation vary in different times of the year. Like in the winter because its dry

saltn00b

i live in south florida, i have noticed that in the winter, my tank evaps slightly LESS.
probably because the AC is not running as much, sucking the moisture out of the air. and the overall house / tank temp is down a few degrees.
oh yea and welcome to the boards :)

gmann1139

Originally Posted by Kevinch67
http:///forum/post/2918728
Thanks for the help. Does the amount of evaporation vary in different times of the year. Like in the winter because its dry
Yes.
I've found that the humidity in the air has a pretty big effect.
I'm in the NE, and with the currrent cold snap, and low humidity, I'm losing a lot more to evaporation than in the past.

kevinch67

Originally Posted by gmann1139
http:///forum/post/2918754
Yes.
I've found that the humidity in the air has a pretty big effect.
I'm in the NE, and with the currrent cold snap, and low humidity, I'm losing a lot more to evaporation than in the past.
We live in PA, so we are seeing the same cold snap you are. How much do you lose in the summer?

kas2247

My 55 is also losing 1-2 gal/day this winter and I'm in PA. I know it wasn't as much in the summer (maybe 1/2 gal/day), but I have more lighting on it now than I did this past summer... so I'll have to wait & see how much I can contribute to weather.

I'm with the majority here. My 72 loses over a gallon a day. I am not going to dare put a lid on my tank. I also have a powerhead keeping the surface churned up at all times. It helps with the temp and gas exchange (as said earlier). I think it is best left alone...If it is an issue get you an auto top off.