water flow though sump?

jchase1970

I am setting up a 125g display tank with about 50 gal sump. How much water flow do I need though the sump? Should I use powerheads in the tank and have less flow though the sump or get a big enough pump, about a 1800gph, and just let that flow though the tank and sump?
I don't know if there is a limit to how much flow you should have though the sump, I have been told that you want 10-15x turn over of the tank that is why I am looking at a 1800 gph pump.
John

small triggers

it depends on what your wanting to do with the sump,,, is it just for mechanical and chemical filtration? no refuge or DSB?? if so you can have lots of flow,,,,,
if not your gonna wanna tone it down and just add powerhead to your tank to increade it up there....
with corals its recommended between 15-30+++ times depends on what you are planning on keeping??

jchase1970

ok, more info then...
I do want a refuge in it.
I guess I am a bit shy on my turn over, about half, I can make that up with power heads. I am assuming the flow into the sump/refuge is affected by the size of the refuge, so is there a general rule of thumb on how much flow in a refuge per gal of size? I can easily send half my return water directly to the pump chamber and cut the flow though the refuge to 900gph.

jchase1970

yeah reeferrookie, I have 2 returns from the tank, so to begin with I'll just half the return to the fuge and half it to the skimmer and see how it works, I can add a tee later in the return to the fuge and divert some more flow easy enough if I need to.

spanko

From Anthony Calfo on flow through a refugium.
"As for flow in any fuge... it is wholly dependant on the needs of the species kept. If its Gracilaria for pod production... you will need 30X +. If its Chaetomorpha, you can go less. Mangroves less flow still."

spanko

Originally Posted by small triggers
http:///forum/post/3216448
it depends on what your wanting to do with the sump,,, is it just for mechanical and chemical filtration? no refuge or DSB?? if so you can have lots of flow,,,,,
if not your gonna wanna tone it down and just add powerhead to your tank to increade it up there....
with corals its recommended between 15-30+++ times depends on what you are planning on keeping??
Calfo, just for every ones information here, recommends 30-60X turnover in the display depending on the coral kept there. Also recommends no more than 700-800 gallons per hour through a sump with a skimmer (no fuge).