water flow

kafawa

Hello. I have a 50 gallon tank and am starting to really get into reef. I have an aua clear 30 for my water pump. I feel like it doesn't have enopugh water flow. How much sahould I have in a reef tank? Should I get another pump? Any suggestions? I plan on having anenomes.

travis89

Originally Posted by Kafawa
Hello. I have a 50 gallon tank and am starting to really get into reef. I have an aua clear 30 for my water pump. I feel like it doesn't have enopugh water flow. How much sahould I have in a reef tank? Should I get another pump? Any suggestions? I plan on having anenomes.
You should probably get at least 2 more. The aqua clear 30 has a 175 gallons per hour rating which is a 3.5x turnover rate and you should have no less then 10x for a reef, which you will have if you get 2 more of the aqua clear 30's. In most cases about 15x is wanted but not nessecarily needed.

ray28576

What if I got rid of that one and got just one good one. Any suggstions?
That could work, but you really want water going in a couple differnt directions. JMO

travis89

What if I got rid of that one and got just one good one. Any suggstions?
It is more beneficial to have 2-3 or more smaller powerheads so that the current isn't all from the same direction (that can be bad for the corals), plus with only one you will have dead spots where there is little to no water flow which is a bad thing.