water from dehumidifier

kniquy

I was just curious. With the humid weather upon us i have my dehumidifier running non-stop. Is the water that it produces safe to use in a reef tank. I have yet to test what comes out of it but wondering if anyone else had or does any one else use it in their tanks. I would imagin that because it is coming from moisture in the air that there would not be too many impurities. Maybe i'm wrong.

2quills

Most dehumidifiers utilize copper coils that the moist air passes through as it condenses into liquid form. I would be under the assumption that it's probably not a good idea since it could pick up traces of copper and zinc. If you have another way of passing that water through a carbon filter though you could probably make it safe.

tangs rule

I would think there are things in the air that could be a problem too, like air fresheners, cleaners, that would likely be condensed from vapor with the water and contaminate it. I'd think an ro/di unit still best option.

acrylic51

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///forum/thread/386473/water-from-dehumidifier#post_3395107
Most dehumidifiers utilize copper coils that the moist air passes through as it condenses into liquid form. I would be under the assumption that it's probably not a good idea since it could pick up traces of copper and zinc. If you have another way of passing that water through a carbon filter though you could probably make it safe.
Agree.....with the copper coils...Wouldn't even consider it. Use it to water your plants or garden.