water mixing in garbage can

fish1031

I have been mixing water in a rubbermaid new clean garbage can for 5 days with 2 powerheads. the water tests fine but there is scummy chunks on the sides and a few floating is it okay to use for my tank?

andy51632

Was it a brand new garbage can? Just read on another site that you should clean out whatever you are using for a container to mix water in everytime you use it. I have a ton of residue in my tote that I mix water in and I have had no problem with using it. I think I am going to start cleaning it every week.

sepulatian

That is salt residue on the sides. I am not sure about the chunks on top. Do you cover the can?. What were you mixing in before?

reefer545

You should clean your can everytime before and after mixing. Scrub the residue off too. It comes up real easy. You can skim those floaters out too.

zsqure

I have been using the same gray 44 gallon garbage can for over a year and have never cleaned it out. It is always full of water, I have a 90g tank and do 15g changes weekly. The same day I change water I replace what I take out. If I HAD to clean the container everytime I changed water that would be a major PITA! There is residue on the inside of the gbc, my water tests fine so I'm not worried. I'd rather watch my fish zip around in the tank.

fish1031

guess it okay then... yeah its new... i was using buckets and i mixed it a few times for 2 days and it looked fine.... after 5 day the water had that residue stuff... how come we dont get that in the tank?

B

bellaroxio

Originally Posted by zsqure
I have been using the same gray 44 gallon garbage can for over a year and have never cleaned it out. It is always full of water, I have a 90g tank and do 15g changes weekly. The same day I change water I replace what I take out. If I HAD to clean the container everytime I changed water that would be a major PITA! There is residue on the inside of the gbc, my water tests fine so I'm not worried. I'd rather watch my fish zip around in the tank.
clean their tanks every mixing? Common!