water question

wes

the local aquarium by me gives away free filtered ocean water. its what they use in theyre huge aquariums. could i use it for mine?

frenchman

Hummm. Maybe but ask to check the readings just in case: salinity, PH, KH, Nitra, Nitri and Ammonia. Better to be safe then sorry.
Also, if it's water from their tanks, check that all their fish are OK and healthy.

twoods71

Like the post above says, test it. Also ask the folks at the aquarium if the water is good for use in a home aquarium. If everything checks out ok I would say congrats on finding a free water source.

frenchman

Actually I just saw a similar question answered by sharks on the reef tank board (I think). Try to read it but the consensus was not recommendable ;)

twoods71

I believe the main differance between this post and the other is that wes is saying that the water is filtered.

wes

yea its not just water from the ocean. they put it through filtering before it is available. And its what the steven birch public aquarium uses.

guppie

You know wes I have heard of that place by a couple of other people who use the water. Never tryed it myself, the people I have talked to say it is good quality water, let me know if you stat useing it and how it works out I might try it myself. Good Luck