Water Question

egill

I have a 45g brute can where I mix my salt water. I filled it in mid of sept and forgot to put the heater in or turn on the power head but never mixed in any salt. Need to do a water change but not sure if I should use this water or just discard it. Any info would be great.

dragonzim

If the pail was clean and only used for storing water it should be fine. Do you have a TDS meter that you can check the water with? I used the same type of pail for storing my RO water and there were times that I would have a pail full of water sit for a month before using it and never had any ill effects.

egill

Yeah that's the only thing it's ever been used for. Went on vacation and just forgot about it.

browniebuck

maybe put a new powerhead in the tub and let it circulate for a while...that's what I am planning on doing with my homemade RO storage bin...not sure if you need to, but movement couldn't hurt the water, could it?

srfisher17

I see no reason not to use it, plain water can certainly sit a few weeks ( in a covered, inert container, it should be safe for years). But if its just a small amount of plain water, why even worry about it? If it bothers YOU, just dump it and it will return to the water cycle.