water temp?

what is a good range water temperature for a reef tank? ive noticed my tank to be around 70 degrees, but i still was unsure about it, any insight?

meowzer

70 might be a little cool...don't know what you are keeping though....A good range would be 76-82....
78-80 being the best

ajroc31

70 is really cold imo. I try to keep it at 81-82, but in reality most corals available prefer 82-86 or so. The problem with that is, that if something with water goes bad, it will go bad lot quicker. I think, not sure, that is especially the case with ammonia. So 78-80 seems to be ideal for the tanks.

Originally Posted by ajroc31
http:///forum/post/3282168
70 is really cold imo. I try to keep it at 81-82, but in reality most corals available prefer 82-86 or so. The problem with that is, that if something with water goes bad, it will go bad lot quicker. I think, not sure, that is especially the case with ammonia. So 78-80 seems to be ideal for the tanks.
ok well im trying my best right now to warm it up, im planning on going 80-82

ummmmmmmm.........lol the gf keep the house like 60, right now the tank is up to 73, i have a very little heater slowly warming the tank, im hoping to be up to 78- 80 by the end on the week

hahaha...lol believe it or not i invested in solar pannels and our electric bill hasnt been that bad, the solar pannels save us alot of money...lol i have plans to eventually have my aquarium hooked to a solar panel back up, this way if the power goes out i have back up energy cells to use

meowzer

How interesting......my husband wants to look into solar panels....maybe you should start a thread in the aquarium giving some details

actually thats not a bad idea, when i get to the project ill start a thread :)
lol might take a while though, the corals i bought and new stuff kinda wiped out my budget for the month...lol

meowzer

Originally Posted by fitbmxdude989
http:///forum/post/3282495
actually thats not a bad idea, when i get to the project ill start a thread :)
lol might take a while though, the corals i bought and new stuff kinda wiped out my budget for the month...lol
LOL...I know that feeling.....I just bought bulbs and some fish and as soon as a certain skimmer comes in I am buying it....no budget left
BUT I would be interested in your solar stuff

lol, and id be glad to pass on any knowledge i can, and i know how you feel with the skimmer and basic supplies...lol that can be pretty costly on the budget...lol

J

jstdv8

solar panels would be awesome here since I have sunlight 24 hours a day right now. Not so good in the winter :(
I should look into something big enough to run my tank :)

that would be good if you had a big enough power cell, most solar panels charge to a power cell kinda like a battery, then you can use it when needed, when i get the $ to start the project ill pm anyone interested with the thread