Water testing

I have started to add some corals to my tank and am wondering what tests I should add if any. i currently am testing SG, PH, Alk, Calcium, and Phosphates. The LFS told me to start using a 2 part additive which comtains Mag, Calcium, Strotium, and Iodine. I currently have Alveopora, Closed brain, and a Green finger Leather. I have 3 150w MH and 2 135w Actinic PC's, Any suggestions.

fishfatty

you need to be testing nitrite,nitrate, and ammonia. These tests are more important than phosphates...make sure you get this tested asap!

chipmaker

What size is your tank? If its over 30 gal or so, I would look at other alternatives to add calcium instead of the 2 part stuff. It will last quite a while in a smaller tank but when you get up in size and starat to dose 15-20 or more ml daily it does not take long to knock a bottle of that stuff out. It soon becomes uneconomical when used with larger tanks. Its convienient though. I personally would not get concerned with strontium and iodine, as they wil be replaced in sufficient quanities with water changes. I have yet in all my years added any additional iodine or strontium and my corals and tanks do great.

It is 125g. I have been adding 45 ml every other day. However, I read a thread where someone said they would not add anything they could not test and it made me think. So I just thought I would ask. Actually I have had better luck with my corals than I have with my fish.

bennyhill

Never add anything to your tank you can not test.Just get a good test kit around $45 to $60. for a reef.I have a Hagen Master Test Kit ( I think there the best ) they thst :: pH low range test (6.0-7.6)
pH high range test (7.4-8.6)
Iron Test
Nitrite Test
Phosphate Test
Ammonia Test
Nitrate Test
Calcium Test
General Hardness Test
Carbonate Hardness Test
Thats every thing that I think should be tested in a reef tank

reefkprz

Those supplements arent cheap are they? thats why your fish store want you to start dosing with them. if you have a test kit for those supplements test for them, if you cant test to see if you need to add it, dont supplement with them. It is extremly easy to overdose, If you add too much calcium you throw your alk out of wack. your waterchanges should take care of all those trace elements. the only supplements I ever use are calcium (when needed about once every month or two if I miss a water change) And buffer (if there is a problem) honestly I have had the bottle of buffer for two years and have only used it two or three times. frequent waterchanges does it all and eliminates the chance of accidently overdoseing on a supplement that your adding that you cant tell is low or not because your not testing for it.
remember that guys job is to make the store money.