Water tests

iyachtuxivm

Note sure where to plant this so here is as good as a spot as any. So this is a kinda newbie question( which I still am) but I have taken my water to be testes in 3 different LFS 2 of which I trust their info totally. I continue to get different reading between all the tests. I realize that temp light and others are all factors 2 of the lfs's use api well really all three do but 1 also uses a salfert (sp?) test as a back up. Here is the real question lfs's say my ph is 7.8-8.4 different readings they say my nitrate is 0-5 at the 2 I trust 20ish at the one I dont. The one I dont trust says my ph is 8.4. So I took some pics of my tests and would like comments. Also apparently you can read them different ways so I took diff pics.
1&2 both tests with and with out flash
3&4 Each indvid test with flash

iyachtuxivm

Below is the alternate method which gets the ph in range but the nitrate speaks for it self. My wife tells me I am color blind so maybe my only problem
Help please if there is something wrong I want to fix it ASAP. I use a buffer too once per week Seachem marine buffer as per direction. I also had the lfs's test for mag ( the 2 that did) I fogot the numbers but both said it was in the right range.
1. good right?
2. ouch

salt210

I try my best to get in the best light and put the test tubes in front of the color chart with alittle space between the 2

iyachtuxivm

I guess my point is that some one said look down through the top for the Ph test to get the correct color. The test is not specfic the pic shows looking through the side. But when you do that it is way different and wouldnt it change the results so whats right? And is that the only one it works for if not then many other specs are way off too...

sickboy

Good question, I may have to change the way I read my tests. Hopefully the experts get on here and tell us what to do.

T

tangofish

Originally Posted by iyachtuxivm
http:///forum/post/2677374
Note sure where to plant this so here is as good as a spot as any. So this is a kinda newbie question( which I still am) but I have taken my water to be testes in 3 different LFS 2 of which I trust their info totally. I continue to get different reading between all the tests. I realize that temp light and others are all factors 2 of the lfs's use api well really all three do but 1 also uses a salfert (sp?) test as a back up. Here is the real question lfs's say my ph is 7.8-8.4 different readings they say my nitrate is 0-5 at the 2 I trust 20ish at the one I dont. The one I dont trust says my ph is 8.4. So I took some pics of my tests and would like comments. Also apparently you can read them different ways so I took diff pics.
1&2 both tests with and with out flash
3&4 Each indvid test with flash
For me, this is the way to read did. So, it means that the Nitrites are good, but the PH is a little bit low?
But this is just the way I see it...

iyachtuxivm

Originally Posted by Tangofish
http:///forum/post/2678503
For me, this is the way to read did. So, it means that the Nitrites are good, but the PH is a little bit low?
But this is just the way I see it...
If thats the case then
1. why does the salfert test come up at 8.2ish?
2. and what am I using the seachem buffer for? ( it states that it will safely regulate PH at 8.3)
Dont get me wrong I like it that way too the trates low. Maybe I should use more buffer if its like you say. But at 10dkh
dont want it too high!