Water Tests

hokedalredy

Okay, I am new and I am using the "Red Sea" (I think) test kit. I don't really know if the readings are accurate because it ask you to look at the water in the tube and then compare it to a picture. Is there other tests that are different...ie something that gives exact amounts of minerals in the water? Thanks

hokedalredy

I'm sorry is "fastest" the name of the tests? I just want to make sure I am getting an accurate test result and I am not over or under estimating the results. I have read lots of post here saying to start slow and test your water before you get fish and so on....so I want to do it correctly so I don't have to post a sad story of how my tank is dying... Thanks for any help

elitsoh

hello welcome.....i have the same test kit, i was wondering the same thing..i think there all this way.
you can take a sample of your water to your lfs....goood luck

jarvis

yes fastest is the brand. it has a clear plastic color chip that is placed next to the vial. Its alot easier to tell vs a colored piece of paper. Also if your going for reef aplication salifert brand has a positive color change for Alk, Calcium, and Stronium. I would most likely stick with the fastest. Its easy, quick and painless therefore you are more likely to test your water more frequently. I have salifert if I were to test all my water parameters at once the chemical bottles would take up the entire kitchen table. After you learn how your parameter work you could phase out some test kits such as amonia and nitrite even nitrate if your levels stay very very low with a DSB or refigium. But still have them at hand incase you notice something funking going on in your tank.