Water Top Off

zoogrl03

My tank is about 7months old and i am beginning to realize that one of my biggest "forgets" in this hobby is to do a daily top off of water and when i do it, how much i should do. I seem to do a bigger water top off when i actually realize that my water level is low..I don't do this on purpose it just seems to slip my mind. I always do a water param check to make sure all is good (and all still is good) but i am wondering how good a water top off machine works and how many of you out there use them and what brand or product do you use? Is it a good investment? If I go on vacation do I need to worry about it like overflowing or something? Just curious. Thanks for the input.

mckaax

Its really simple to get 2 float switches and a relay and make your own. Wiring it is the hardest part and if you ask around people will tell you how to wire the floats to the relay.

rbmdaltx

I have a similar setup as Keith except I use the JBJ ATO unit. I kept forgetting to fill reservoir so I connected a 24gpd RO/DI unit with a Kent Float Valve to it. I've had the whole setup several months and it's been very dependable.

bioneck47

Originally Posted by mckaax
http:///forum/post/2688694
Its really simple to get 2 float switches and a relay and make your own. Wiring it is the hardest part and if you ask around people will tell you how to wire the floats to the relay.
Were do you find float switches?

kurtymac

wow thats pretty cool i didnt even know they made those, im def going to get one for when i go away. It would probably help a bundle.

zsqure

If you have an ro/di unit, just plumb a float valve to your sump. Mine has been working fine for a year. I did have it overflow once but that was because my skimmer blocked the float in the "fill" position. my bad. Other than that it has been great, went away for 10 days and had someone stop by the house to feed every other day, I certainly didn't trust them to add top off water every day. It cost less than $15 for everything.

veni vidi vici

Originally Posted by zoogrl03
http:///forum/post/2691157
My problem is...No Sump!!!
DOH! FWIW i have a 30 gallon elevated storage tank under my stand that gravity feeds my sump via drip line.I have to refill it every 14 days about,and i must say i love it.No more humpin bucket every day......

matt b

Originally Posted by zsqure
http:///forum/post/2690440
If you have an ro/di unit, just plumb a float valve to your sump. Mine has been working fine for a year. I did have it overflow once but that was because my skimmer blocked the float in the "fill" position. my bad. Other than that it has been great, went away for 10 days and had someone stop by the house to feed every other day, I certainly didn't trust them to add top off water every day. It cost less than $15 for everything.
IMO thats a REALLY bad idea. You could be gone for a day or even two and it would just keep filling and by the time you come back it would be a fresh water tank. Thats why I only use a 10g for the fresh water so if it fails its only 10g.

zsqure

Originally Posted by MaTT B
http:///forum/post/2693701
IMO thats a REALLY bad idea. You could be gone for a day or even two and it would just keep filling and by the time you come back it would be a fresh water tank. Thats why I only use a 10g for the fresh water so if it fails its only 10g.
I don't know, how often has the float valve on my toilet acted up? NEVER in the last 12 years. Like I said the only time it overflowed was when I placed something in the way of the float valve. I have read of others whose tank overflowed because their pump got stuck in the ON position and the second switch didn't work because the salt had caked up on it. You have a really cool lfs where you live Serdar gave me the idea for the ATO

snakeblitz33

Yeah, when I make a sump for one of my clients, I baffle in the float valve, and silicone some egg crate between the baffles and then attach the floatvalve to the eggcrate. It works amazingly well, and the baffled space is way way too small to put anything else in it to mess with the float valve.
Only thing that I don't like about attaching an RO Unit to it, is that over time the RO Unit will slow down considerably and not be able to keep up with the evaporation speed over time. You must replace your membranes once every 5 to 6 months, and your filters every month. Also, you must flush your membranes out at least twice a month to keep everything flowing correctly.