Water

ladd

What is the difference between RO water and distilled water. I have been buying my saltwater, but the problem is that the store I go to is over an hour away. I did my water tests on Sunday and my nitrate is at 25 - I think, hate those stupid color charts! - So I changed all my filter media, hoping it would help. I retested yesterday, still the same. But I can't go get water for a water change until tomorrow. So I would like to have some water available all the time. I can't buy an RO unit at this time - hopefully in the future. Right now I am saving for a protien skimmer. My husband does not have the same passion for my new addiction, so I took a part time job just to pay for my tank! Anyway the questions is... making good water without an RO unit. Thanks.

kris

Depending on what type tank you have (f/o or reef) I would buy the r/o unit before the skimmer. Instead of going to your lfs store though--try going to a home improvement place like Home Depot or Menards. I bought an R/O unit there capable of 18 g per day and hooks up to both my kitchen sink and even my refridgerator water dispenser, for $79. This way I was also able to convince my husband that this was a purchase for the benefit of the family, not my fish.

krazzydart

Kris has a good point but.... never ever change all of your media at one time you will screw up your bio-filter also do you have live rock???? also having some carlopa will cut down your nitrates in your tank.[