Water

mmarkase

I used tap water when i first started with my 55g reef tank. I was told later on that this is not good, because tap it has additives. When i did mt last water change i purchased water from my LFS, this turned my tank a redish brown. My questions is can i use BOTTLED Water, Deer PARK POLAND SPRING?
Thanks
MM

dmjordan

Go to Walmart and buy RO water if you don't have an RO unit. I don't recommend using spring water.

drew2005

Originally Posted by mmarkase
I used tap water when i first started with my 55g reef tank. I was told later on that this is not good, because tap it has additives. When i did mt last water change i purchased water from my LFS, this turned my tank a redish brown. My questions is can i use BOTTLED Water, Deer PARK POLAND SPRING?
Thanks
MM

Get either drinking water(green cap) or distilled water(purple cap) from Walmart. I did the same thing on my initial fillup. Sucks but ya live and learn. Good luck
Where in NY are you located?

sweetdawn

the one from walmart with the green label drinking water processed by: reverse osmosis,ozonation,steamed distillation and/or deionization. copied this off the bottle

drew2005

Originally Posted by sweetdawn
the one from walmart with the green label drinking water processed by: reverse osmosis,ozonation,steamed distillation and/or deionization. copied this off the bottle
Thats the one. I just bought 30 gallons the other day. I was kinda ticked they raised the price from 58 cents to 64 cents.
Even though its only cents its still cheap.

zenway9

I suggest getting a RO unit. Not only do I use it for my tanks, we drink it and so do the dogs. I have a TDS meter (total dissolved solids) and here is the rundown...
city water=222 ppm (mind you, thats northern jersey water)
poland spring=14 ppm
RO water=4-5 ppm
I believe that a RO unit is completely necessary when it comes to owning a saltwater tank.
Your fish will thank you and so will your other pets, and so will your body!