Waterbed Chiller!?!?!?!?

speg

Ok.. so its WICKED hot here in FL right now.. I come home from work and my AC is broken so what can I do to stay cool? I rip the sheets off my waterbed and lay on it.. its really cold.. why? Its cold because it has a cooler/heater on it that I can set to however hot/cold I want it.. currently its on like 65 or some insanely cold setting :) I can however go all the way up to 90 if I desire..
My thoughts are... why couldnt I put this in my sump and use it as a chiller/heater? I didnt pay much for my waterbed... so this thing couldnt be the price a expensive chiller unit is... if anybody has any reason why this diabolical plan would >NOT< work.. speak now or forever hold their peas.

dogstar

Never heard of a waterbed chiller. I have a WB heater.
Youd have to make sure its SW safe, want rust or toxic and then dont know if it can keep up with the heat from lights. Might work for emergency.

thangbom

u are 1 crazy man!! your AC is broken and you are going to sacrafice your only 'cool ' device for your fish!!! and not for yourself!!! u r nuts..

speg

No no of course not.. but I would purchase another one strickly for fish tank use :) I do not think they have any metal in the cooling part.. to me it looks like just a thick plastic little bag kinda thing with a tube attached to it then attached to a dial to adjust the temp, then attached to a plug... seems like it 'should' work.

sw65galma

Originally Posted by Speg
No no of course not.. but I would purchase another one strickly for fish tank use :) I do not think they have any metal in the cooling part.. to me it looks like just a thick plastic little bag kinda thing with a tube attached to it then attached to a dial to adjust the temp, then attached to a plug... seems like it 'should' work.

The salt woudl probably eat right through it....there must be metal somewhere in it to transfer heat. Might even been Cooper!!

nomad

Contact the manufacturer and ask them about how the outside covering would react to saltwater and to the demands made on the unit to maintain the temperature deferential for this time of year. I wish you good luck!

nm reef

:thinking: More than likely you have a "heater"...when its down the water will normally remain cool.....the heater is to raise the temp to a comfortable level....I don't believe there is any "chilling" involved.

speg

I think you're right.. I told my brother of my 'master' plan and he said its a heater too... I still dont understand why it has such low settings and it is SO cold..
He's like it has really cold settings.. but people never use those cause its bad for your back... im like "uh.. I have it on the lowest setting now".
He says it would work GREAT as a heater though!
*sigh* back to the drawing board I guess... I REALLY dont wanna pay 300-500 dollars for a decent chiller.