watts per gallon

kclester

well i have been doing a lil research from various website including this one and 90% of everything i read said that you only need 2 watts per gallon to support and grow zoo's does anyone know anyhting about it.......is this true or a bunch of *******........thanks for any advice

pco1988

I have 5.71 watts per gallon in my 210 and my zoos are out of control. I have had good results with 3-4 but anything above 5 is great! Also its not so much on the watts per gallon but the type of lights used, T5s and MHs are the way to go IMO.

lexluethar

I realize that TECHNICALLY the watts per gallon is "useless". But it does provide a general rule. Not a precise measurement, but a general rule. I've heard around 4 watts per gallon is a good goal.

b bauer

I want to (upgrade) to t5 lights I have 130w pc now on a 24 " but want to buy a t5 w4-5 lamps.will i lose out on lighting capacity.the new fixture is also 24".sorry to hijack thead

turningtim

I think T5 blew up the watts per gallon rule. An equal amount of T5 as too PC or MH just doesn't work.
A small jump in watts, Example going from 4x65x PC to 6x54w T5 is only a 64 watt increase but opens up a whole new world in what you can keep. Clams and SPS that I never would have considered with PC

nietzsche

Originally Posted by TurningTim
I think T5 blew up the watts per gallon rule. An equal amount of T5 as too PC or MH just doesn't work.
A small jump in watts, Example going from 4x65x PC to 6x54w T5 is only a 64 watt increase but opens up a whole new world in what you can keep. Clams and SPS that I never would have considered with PC
how does someone know what to get for their tank? like lets say you want a retrofit of t5s on your tank, how many bulbs with individual reflectors would you get? also, for Mh the watts per gallon rule doesnt apply, does it?

reefkprz

watts is energy consumed to operate and in the end has very little to do with the overall light output. 35 watts of PC is far more intense than than 35 watts of regular output flourecents. 35wats of T-5 is far more intese than the same wattage of PC, its the par or intensity of the output that really makes a difference, watts per gallon was invented as a rule of thumb when there wasnt much in the way of knowledge cocerning light out put in the hobby. now we know more but most people cannot wrap their minds around the concept that input has very little to do with output, I have to be honest, I dont completly understand all of it by any stretch of the imagination. I slice dice puree and blend, but I know watts pergallon is about as usefull as a bucket of air. I would consider it one of the least accurate rules of thumb persisting in this hobby just refusing to die an honorable death.

nietzsche

Originally Posted by reefkprZ
watts is energy consumed to operate and in the end has very little to do with the overall light output. 35 watts of PC is far more intense than than 35 watts of regular output flourecents. 35wats of T-5 is far more intese than the same wattage of PC, its the par or intensity of the output that really makes a difference, watts per gallon was invented as a rule of thumb when there wasnt much in the way of knowledge cocerning light out put in the hobby. now we know more but most people cannot wrap their minds around the concept that input has very little to do with output, I have to be honest, I dont completly understand all of it by any stretch of the imagination. I slice dice puree and blend, but I know watts pergallon is about as usefull as a bucket of air. I would consider it one of the least accurate rules of thumb persisting in this hobby just refusing to die an honorable death.
but how are people going to know whether itll be good enough for the tank? lately theres been threads about t5 and mh, but not many people are going to honestly know for sure what the tank will need.. so my question is.. with t5 and mh, how is one supposed to know whats the best t5 or mh fixture for their tank when all you see is so and so watts per bulb when you look online at things?