Wave Makers???

pezlok

I am about to add four Rio 800 to my 92 gallon reef tank. I am debating weather or not to purchase a wave maker. They are suppost to vary the water current. Some of them even calm the current down to simulate the calm ocean at night. What is your opinon on this product? Good? Bad? Or just some unnecessary thing to spend your money on?

luke

Non laminar current is great. But I think that an easier way would be to place the pumps on timers that turn them on and off at 2 hour intervals. Your wallet will sure appreciate it. I have this set up on y 10 and it works great. You can easily simmulate the calm at night too.
Luke

I debated and debated about which wavemaker to buy, the expensive Red Sea (or others pricey as well) or the Wave strip.
Well, I got the Wave strip, and I LOVE it!! It really works well with Maxijets, as it has a soft start feature. I am not sure about Rio's. You may want to seek more info on these pumps, as there have been problems with them. FYI
Anyway, LOVE my wave strip. Tank seems to thrive in the new currents as well. My Pagoda is really opening up, and laying down new coral. But that may be associated with other changes. (I've begun to drip Kalk 2 weeks ago.)
Best of all, it looks fantastic!
HTH
Hermit

broomer5

Right now I am just using multiple timers on my powerheads. It is okay for now :(
Someday I may join the "wavemaker" clan as Hermit recently did ;)
Until then ..... I go El Cheapo'
[ June 30, 2001: Message edited by: broomer5 ]

C

coralbeauty

Like hermit I went with the inexpensive wave strip. It cost only about $50. I just set it up this morning, so I cna not really say how well it is working.
Hermit, I been dosing with K water for several months now. I recently purchased a used hospital IV pump so I can run it 24/7 at a constant rate. It replaces all of my evaporation. Life in the reef is good!
Connie

Indeed! ;)
I have my WM set at 1 minute and 45 second interval alternating currents. I played around with it for several days to get the right "mix". Seems to be working great! What do you set yours at?
I too am using an IV drip 24/7 for all evaporation. Already everything just appears to look "perkier", for lack of a better word. The reef just seems to love Kalk. I don't know what took me so long!
Regards,
Hermit
PS: Hey ElCheapo'.....I mean broomer5.... :D Go for the strip, like Connie said it is a $50 investment you won't regret!

broomer5

Thanks Hermit !
Heck I almost have that much money in the 3-prong grounded El Cheapo timers LOL :eek:
Looks like maybe a Wave Strip is possible, and then ....... more spare parts in the closet again :(
Brian < ~~~~~~~~ opening "Timers R Us" store soon

blueberryboomer

We have the Red Sea wavemaker, our fish love it, the swim up to the power heads and fight the current. I think we only paid $120. for it and 4 powerheads.(maxijets) Later Lisa :D