Wavemakers

mrdrago

I have a 75 gallon reef tank with about 50 lbs of live rock, and 20 lbs live sand. It's been set up for about a month and a half and doing great. I have one power head, and one magnum cartridge filter. I have heard about wave making equipment. I get good water movement, but curious if this would be useful. If so, any recommendations on the best set-up/equipment. :D :D

dad

Actually I would get another power head. Just make sure that one of them makes ripples of the top of your water.
I did some resurch on wavemakers a few years ago and decided that unless you have a 200g plus tank, they were not worth the cash. Just my opinion.

mrdrago

Dad, let me explain my set-up a little better. I have one water circulation pump, with one outlet into the tank. I have it aimed so it disturbs the water tension at the surface. When you say "just add another power head" what do you mean? Can this be done with one pump. I am assuming I could creat a T connection to accomplish this, but wouldn't it reduce the flow of each outlet into the tank? :rolleyes:

dad

No, A seperate power head is completely a seperate peice of equipment. All it does is circulate water. I have a 170gph in my 100g tank.
They are very inexpensive and they do sell them here in their dry goods dept.
A reef tank needs lots of circulation.

byrself

the powerheads should be inside your main tank. separate from your water pump from the sump. i recommend maxi-jets personally.

goofyreefer

I just bought a Natural Wave Wavemaker for about $55 and I think it works great I use 2 maxi-jets with it. You might be able to use a sea swirl with your setup it might be your best bet if you don't mind spending $150+ for one. With that you wouldn't have the cost of a wave maker and any additional powerheads.