wavemakers?

shanev

They create random current in your tank. Most wavemakers turn on and off different powerheads to create a wavelike motion.
If your interested do a search for a sqwd and do similar things cheaper and less electrical use.

broncofish

If you intend on keeping anemones I would say that they are a must...LPS really like the random currents also

shanev

A sqwd is a water switching device do a search here for SQWD and youll find details about it. Sorry for the confusion.

shep

I have two modified lamp timers to turn off and on two 1200 power heads ever 5 minutes and it stays on for one minute. This was about 12 dollars and has for for 3 years so far. Just took a couple GE timers and a razor blade to trim down the time blocks and make it how I wanted it. Beats the hell out of a C note for a wave maker.

broncofish

Originally posted by shep
Beats the hell out of a C note for a wave maker.

Amen!!! except my wave maker cost $45. The controller I am looking at buying for 90g cost about $329. Everything else I DIY it so I figure I can splurge on stuff here and their

broncofish

Originally posted by ffishermen
would having two power heads blowing in two directions at the same time get the same results?

Yes and no. It will create smaller random currents right at the spot of intesection, and they will tape in intensity as they travel further from the source. What you will end up with is one very turbulent spot in your tank(right where the currents colide). For the most part your corals will have a pretty steady flow, and only the corals closest to the currents colision will notice random currents.