Way to prevent spam bots

reefkeeperZ

SWF forum should enact a similar method used on other forums, first two threads must be viewed and approved by a moderator before full membership/thread creation is allowed. new members must post 2 threads in one section before being given access. It does work no spam bot makes it past the first two threads. may save you guys a lot of work deleting crap in the long run.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
That would be a turn off to potential new members. However, there should be an email verification of some sort. At this point, I'm deleting 30 some odd spams a day from this site. Not sure what Bang Guy encounters.

reefkeeperZ

there is an email verification, but email accounts are free and bots generate them automatically now, thats an outdated method of stopping them as you see.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Well I think the email verification involves a message being sent to your email address (which only a real person can respond to) and then going through a verification link provided in the email sent to finish the sign-in. However, for whatever reason, a bullet proof method is not employed on this forum. I come on here daily and clean it up, but I'm not sure I see doing that forever. LOL