Wearing Rubber gloves.

harris28

Can you wear latex gloves in an aquarium? Do you need to rinse them off first? I was reading that Zoos are toxic if there toxin gets in our blood so call me worried I will now were gloves and wanted to make sure that regular latex gloves are ok to wear in the tank when moving stuff around and fragging.

bigarn

Originally Posted by earlybird
I use powder free latex gloves and I've never thought to rinse them first.
powder free .... that's the important thing.

renogaw

ok, i'll bite. you guys put on gloves, then put your ahnds into the water? doesnt the gloves get filled in with water?
i love my shoulder length gloves i have, and i've also heard of disposable cow/horse birthing gloves that are usable as well.

earlybird

Originally Posted by renogaw
ok, i'll bite. you guys put on gloves, then put your ahnds into the water? doesnt the gloves get filled in with water?
i love my shoulder length gloves i have, and i've also heard of disposable cow/horse birthing gloves that are usable as well.
I'm not worried so much about the water just direct contact. That said, my gloves are so tight that often my hand comes out dry or pretty dry.

I'm not worried so much about the water just direct contact. That said, my gloves are so tight that often my hand comes out dry or pretty dry.
And if they dont fit that well a simple rubber band or hair tie around the wrist works well...

bigarn

2,000 Proctologists can't be wrong ..

renogaw

Originally Posted by bigarn

erm... i don't want to meet the proctologist that gets his/her hand far enough where seapage in from the opening is an issue...

donald

I use rubber gloves to frag alog with SAFETY GLASSES! I had a zoo squirt and it thankfully hit my cheek, from then on I make sure I wear glases. If I'm just moving things around in the tank I don't use gloves(I probably should). I use the medical gloves that we have at work.

scotts

Originally Posted by donald
I use the medical gloves that we have at work.
I hope you are not a proctologist......

C

calvertbill

I also don't care if water gets in the glove, I just want to avoid direct contact. When I first got started I bought a rock because it had 11 Christmas trees of varying colors in it. It was also covered with something else (sorry, I too new to know what it was) The rock's still in my 90, the Christmas trees are pretty, but the other coating on the rock has 5 obvious source fingerprint marks that are white and dead. Maybe I should gently brush the marks with a toothbrush in the hope that the healthy critters will move back into the neighborhood I trashed?
I also have tons of horse examination gloves (I breed thoroughbreds) and the problem with them is that they're designed for you to reach in all the way up to your armpit and one size fits all. So they wind up dripping all over the place when you remove your arm from the tank.

harris28

Originally Posted by bigarn

hahaha!!!
Yeah I am talking more for direct contact than anything.

fishfreek

I have been in the hobby about 10 yrs and would also like to know the importance of wearing rubber gloves when routing around in my tank.
Thanks

travis89

Because certain corals such as zoanthids and palythoas are toxic. Some to the point that the smallest amount getting in your blood stream can be deadly. Reefkprz has a thread about it if you want to read up on it.

ifirefight

Originally Posted by fishfreek
I have been in the hobby about 10 yrs and would also like to know the importance of wearing rubber gloves when routing around in my tank.
Thanks
In case a bristle worm trys to "bite" them.

alix2.0

i just use powder free and rubber band them on so no water gets in.