Week 31 Topic: Hitchhikers

ladyreefseeker

Administrator
Staff member
Please submit a photo of a hitchhiker that made its way into your aquarium. The winner will receive a $25 gift certificate to Saltwaterfish.com and a donation will be made to the Deep Blue Seas foundation in the winners name.

1guydude

lol but not all are bad....look at the clam thing. Its beautiful imo. However u dont do it for the fish u do it for the coral huh... always nice to hear from the professor!

nikesb

i've had my share of unwanted hitch hikers from mantis shrimp to byopsis. definately not worth it tearing tanks apart just for one small thing. in the past 2-3 years, the best hitch hikers i got were stomatellas. and im trying to find a pic of the one i had, but have no idea where i put them

S

shrimpy brains

Yeah, I couldn't believe it! He was in the tank for 2 months before I noticed him. Good thing I had lots of pods!

1guydude

true dat...u just found that one day shrimpybrains??? thats crazy, its like a free fish lol. How big is he?

S

shrimpy brains

Yeah, must have come in on some Caluerpa I bought. I just started a thread on him in the hitchhiker forum.
He's about 2 to 2 1/2 inches.

1guydude

wat is that kiefer? A hitchhiking wildthing? I didnt even see that movie lol. I hope ladyreef puts it in the contest lol!

CMON more PICS

aquaknight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al&Burke http:///forum/thread/385162/week-31-topic-hitchhikers#post_3377447
Aquaman cool shrimp, can I ask a stupid question, what is it on, never seen this stuff, macroalgae.
It's Sargassum algae. Washes ashore on most beaches (some places more then others) depending on the time of the year, and can form huge clumps out in the ocean (search google images). Wanted to see a couple things, oil spill impact, whats in there, etc, but setting up a cool 'local tank' I'll post more about in the future.

al&burke

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaKnight http:///forum/thread/385162/week-31-topic-hitchhikers#post_3377463
It's Sargassum algae. Washes ashore on most beaches (some places more then others) depending on the time of the year, and can form huge clumps out in the ocean (search google images). Wanted to see a couple things, oil spill impact, whats in there, etc, but setting up a cool 'local tank' I'll post more about in the future.
Thanks Aquaman, now that you say it I have seen that washed up on beaches in Florida. Would like to see pictures of that "local tank".