Weekend Photo Feature: actinics

nm reef

This weekend I thought we'd take a look at actinic shots...to the eye it is a very blue and I personally find the view very nice...but getting decent photos of aquariums under actinics only (or even blueish tinted lighting) can be very difficult.
As on previous threads of this nature try to describe the methods used to get the photos and make mention of the equipment used.
When shooting actinics I take numerous shots with different WB adjustments in aperture priority mode to allow me to select from the results the ones I like. I've also tried shooting in raw mode which allows WB adjustments after the photos are loaded to my computer. I still shoot with a Canon G5.....and editing is done with Photoshop Elements 3.0...below are some examples of my actinic attempts.

nm reef

...and here are a couple I tried with a indirect lighting source to give a bit of a different glow...I used a standard light bulb on a flexiable lamp stand on one end of the display

reefnut

Very nice pictures NM. I have never quite figured out how to take a good picture under actinic lighting but I do have a lucky shot I can share!!
Sorry I cannot give the camera name or make... it was a while back and the camera was borrowed from work so I don't remember. I didn't use really any specific technique other than to take a hundred pictures and hope one came out good... which one did

nm reef

NateP206 ... Thanks...I had some indirect lighting to give it that look. I thought it turned out well myself.
Reefnut...I like it....nice colors. I can't even count the times I've shot 50-60-70 photos and ended up tossing every single one of them.
Rubytoo...very nice results. Once again it just goes to show that the quality of the equipment is not as critical to good results as is the eye of the person holding the equipment.

tankslave

Awesome pics from each of you guys....that's my favorite thing about digitals..you can just keep trying til you get it right. I'm going to have to try this today.
Thanks for the info on loading pics to this site NM

agrsiv210

Nothing special, just a few fish pics, nothing as cool as those reef pics in the actinic. Pics were taken with an old Sony Mavica.

sleasia

NM, reefnut,chaz66, rubytoo, asrgvi...beautiful shots...wish I could contribute, but I have no actinics now that my lighting is suspended from track.. so I'll just watch the show this weekend...thanks for all the pics..

nm reef

Thanks sleasia...check back next weekend....I'm thinking about just going with "favorite photos" next weekend.

sleasia

Well, I also have to shoot some more photos too. I'm feeling like I'm reposting shots everyone has already seen. Maybe I will try the idea you taught us of placing the camera on a tripod and setting it to shoot at set intervals at the same spot....