Weekend Photo Feature: Crabs

nm reef

This week lets focus on crabs and crabs only...post your favorite crab photos and provide information on equipment used and editing information if available. As always the intent of these threads is to focus on a specific subject and discussion of how the photo was obtained...
I'll start with a group of photos taken when I found one of my blue legged hermits makin' a snack of a snail. I took the shots hand held (but should have took the time to set up my tripod)...camera was a Canon G5 in aperture mode...details are as follows:
macro function enabled
shutter speed-1/80 sec
aperture-f/4.0
focal length-7.2mm
Editing was done with Photoshop Elements 3.0 and consisted of cropping to define the subject...slight adjustment of shadows/highlights...just a touch of sharpening and resized to fit requirements here.
Here are the photos:

sleasia

these are both shot on automatic with flash at night with cannon rebel xt with standart 18-35mm lense

aw2

Great Red Starry Hermits pics, sleasia...
Here's mine:

No clue what the camera settings were, but it's shot with my Olympus C-8080. No editing software was used on that pic.

bbb

My dad caught a few off a pier somewhere on the NC coast. They don't look as good but seem to be doing alright other than killing one of our snails.

aw2

Originally Posted by sleasia
Better red starry hermit pic AW2 ***) got to get a macro, got to get a macro...

That's actually not a macro shot...it was just a regular, auto shot, with flash.

goodwin9

I don't know how everyone else is getting such good shots. This is my best try with a Nikon 50 that I was trying to hold steady in my hands. Either the camera isn't phocasing right, or I'm not very steady. Couldn't get the tripod quick enough to get this shot. It seems my crabs are all camera shy when it comes to having thier photos taken. :notsure:

sleasia

goodwin...nice crab...who cares about your picture quality, we've all seen your awesome tank!!!
(By the way someone needs help setting up a 300 in the equipment thread. You are probably the one to help him)....

Chasmodes

I love these threads. The photography/internet aspect of this hobby makes it so much more exciting when you can share your own tank with others and see their stuff too.
Thanks Sleasia for pointing Goodwin my direction. I appreciate what everyone does for each other on this site and for me so far. Hopefully some day I can return the favor. In the mean time I'll do the best that I can. As I get into my set up I plan to take pics and post step by step (as Goodwin did) and when my system is going strong I'll be able to contribute some photos to threads like this too.
Thanks again

nm reef

Originally Posted by usinkit
This is the best I could do!!
Thanks for contributing...extreme quality isn't a requirement...the point of these threads is to provide a wide range of photos along with information to improve the quality of photos taken. You didn't mention what camera you used or the settings when the shot was taken. Getting a decnt close up of any crab can be a very difficult task. The ones I posted were shot in macro mode with no flash and the lense right against the glass...actually I got lucky they were distracted by the meal and stayed in the area long enough for me to click off several shots.

nm reef

Originally Posted by saltn00b
great macros NM!
i will post mine when i get off of work :)
Thanks for the compliment.....I'm lookin' forward to seein' your crabs.......

nm reef

I have one wild crab, and alot of normal ones...here's my wild one...these are both shot on automatic with flash at night with cannon rebel xt with standart 18-35mm lense
Both are quality photos...man I can't wait to get my greedy lil hands on a Rebel XT (and a few choice lenses)...sometimes the flash glare causes more problems than its worth....shooting thru glass/acrylic with a flash can be problematic....yours turned out nice. Thanks for contributing.

nm reef

Originally Posted by AW2
Great Red Starry Hermits pics, sleasia...
Here's mine:
No clue what the camera settings were, but it's shot with my Olympus C-8080. No editing software was used on that pic.
Excellant shot......color and details are dead on. Very nice!!!

nm reef

Originally Posted by BBB
My dad caught a few off a pier somewhere on the NC coast. They don't look as good but seem to be doing alright other than killing one of our snails.
I'd sure be cautious about adding locally caught species to my system...
Interesting looking crab.....the coloration seems a bit greenish...probably a result of the shooting conditions. I've taken the liberty to slightly adjust the coloration a bit and edited your photo just as an example of what a bit of editing can do to sometimes improve the overall appearence of a photo....below is but effort to tone down the green tint and maybe return a more natural coloration. Hope ya don't mind me playin' around with your photo....

nm reef

Better red starry hermit pic AW2 ***) got to get a macro, got to get a macro...
Hmmmmm.....if I had the Rebel 350D and the kit lense I think its possible that my macro shots would be of a much better quality than I can currently get with my Canon G5. I've also decided to get the Canon 100 2.8 macro lense for really up close work. This camera along with a few select lenses are on my list of things to get.
Even with the stock 18-55 mm EF-S lense I'd think you could get some really crisp close ups.....send yours over this way for a few days and let me play with it for a while....I'm diein' to spend some time learning how to shoot with one.

nm reef

Originally Posted by AW2
That's actually not a macro shot...it was just a regular, auto shot, with flash.
But.....any shot with that Olympus C-8080 shouldn't be considered "just a regular, auto shot, with flash" photo....that is a fine piece of photography equipment that can produce extremely graphic photos. Excellant choice and a sweet crab pic.