Weekly water change

coral boy

I have a 125 gal. tank if i were to do weekly water changes what % should i do and do i still need to add Potassium, iodide, strontium, or trace elements.
Thanks for the help

N

newreefers

i have been told 10% h2o change, and yes, the chems are a must

carrie1429

10% is good, although you don't have to add "all" the stuff, I just add the trace elements and thats all. I've never added iodine to my tank.

jonthefb

if you have a normal brand of salt such as instant ocean or tropic marin, you dont need to add trace elements other than calcium, because every time you do a water change, these elements are replaced, as they are in naturally occurring in the salt. a 10 percent water change would be great, and the only supplements you should have to add then woudl be calcium, and carbonate (kalk)
good luck
jon

coral boy

Thanks guys and girls
I use insant ocean and did a calcium test it was 300 so i guess i need to add calcium i thouhgt I/O had high calcium alk is good
Thanks again

j21kickster

you want your calcium about 400- 450ppm. if you keep up on the weekly changes, then the other than Ca, you dont need much (dont forget to feed your corals though). It depends on how many corals to test again, about 1 time a week- to every 2 weeks. the first week if it has dropped a lot- you will know to test sooner, this is how you will determine how quickly your tank uses Ca.
also most chems are not a "must". regular water change, Ca, and coral food will most often do the trick.