weight of tank

jk4music

I am interested in setting up a tank and was wondering if the weight of the tank should be taken into consideration. I live in an apartment and was thinking of getting a 29 gallon tank. Also, is it a good idea to buy all-in-one tanks such as Eclipse or would I be better off buying each piece separately.
Thanks for the help

joerdie

if the tank is only a 29g it will be fine. IMO you could have up to a 55g and can go much larger if you are on the bottom floor. basicly just dont build a 150-500g on the 10th floor of an apartment. as for the second part of your question i dont know how well the contained systems filter a reef. i have never owned one but i love to customise as needed and im not sure if those systems offer much customization of the tank.

melbournefl

29 gallons isn't a weight issue at all. As far as the type of tank, I'll leave that to someone with more expertise than I.
Later,
Paul

fishfanny79

Let me throw you a bone here...I own a 29 gallon high and live on the 2nd floor. I also have a 125 gallon tank. The 29 gallon doesn't matter at all where you place it...but I put the 125 along an inside wall. That way it runs across the beams, and not with them, just to be safe. The way you figure it is that a gallon of water weighs a little more than 8 pounds. Plus count the gravel/sand and things in it.
Happy fishing! (without the pole that is)
:D

J

johnhankel

Keep in mind the age of the apartment complex as well. I have a 55 gallon on the third floor, and my apartment is about 3 years old. Obviously, building codes have improved over the years, and they way overbuild apartments. Just my 2 cents..

bdubbya

To me it wouldn't be worth it to get another. They look cool and all, but most of the time I've got the lid open to help keep the tank around 78 degrees. I don't even use the filter, I let my dsb, lr, and protien skimmer do it for me. To be able to use the skimmer I had to put two holes in the side to mount it. With my next tank I will have a glass top with a canopy, much easier to work with. HTH.

sistrmary

Put it on a load bearing wall and you'll have no worries...Not that there is a lot to worry about with a 30gal. Any tank you can move while full of rock and water weighs less than a couch :D
I know how you feel, I have an aquarium room with a 100gal, a 200gal and a 90gal all within feet of each other. I'm waiting for that side of the house to start leeeaaaaning over and creeeeaaaaking.