weird puffer eating behavior- wHy?!

violet puff

I've had my porkie puffer for a few months now, always a healthy eater, never given a problem. Feed him fresh wild caught shrimp, clams, and krill. Well, I had to quarintine him for Ich and that was fine for the first few days, now he wont eat anything. He will even chew it, but spits it back out. This has gone on for days now, no matter how patiently or long I hold the food for him, he seems disinterested. Will he eat before he starves himself?

violet puff

Originally Posted by stdreb27
He might just be pissed with the move to the qt, give him a few days.
I know! It's like he's punishing me. Thanks man~

violet puff

woo hoo! after 4 whole days of my puffer refusing to eat, spitting water at the food or just chewing it up and spitting it back out; he has eaten! Puffers are so smart- I was siting next to the tank and eating my dinner and he looked really excited so I got the idea, maybe he will see what I am doing and get the hint. I held the krill in the tank, he circled around it and spit some water at it. So I left it in the tank and I went back to eating. Well, he bit into that and started messily chomping at it with some little pieces spraying out and I thought he was going to spit it out again, but he ate it.

dina12

My Porc. Puffer goes on little hunger strikes too. They are very smart. Right now mine does not like me. I moved around a few things on him. He sees me and turns his butt to me and swims away. He sees my Husband and goes wild. He won't even eat for me right now - I put food in and he gives me the butt - hubby puts food in and he spits water at him....I hope they don't hold grudges long...he is my favorite fish....