Weird series of events....

Hey guys. Noticed that my rock near the top of the tank (14g Biocube) keeps sprouting air bubbles almost every day and it looks like I've had a small outbreak of some hair algae. ALso, my hammer coral looks like he's a goner. Any solutions or connections to why this is happening? Thanks

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameangel26 http:///forum/thread/382167/weird-series-of-events#post_3333395
Hey guys. Noticed that my rock near the top of the tank (14g Biocube) keeps sprouting air bubbles almost every day and it looks like I've had a small outbreak of some hair algae. ALso, my hammer coral looks like he's a goner. Any solutions or connections to why this is happening? Thanks

Is it live rock? If you have the wrong kind of rock, it could poison the tank. Air may be trapped by the rock..the position of the power head may cause air to be forced under the rock, and then releases.
That would have nothing to do with why your hammer coral is dying. It sounds like a nitrate and/or phosphate problem…Hammer coral is sensitive to both and HA is a sure sign of your water not being so good.

meowzer

Are the bubbles just laying on the rock, or coming from it? If laying there, it could also be the beginnings of cyano...One time I had some bubbles like that, and thought nothing of it....then cyano started :( IMO you should siphon the bubbles out....
How many powerheads do you have? Do you have a picture of your hammer? What lights do you have?

I got standard biocube lighting, it is live rock, and the bubbles just appear there and come back every day, even though I use a tank-only turkey-baister to push them off. My nitrate levels are pretty low (I measured them just the other day). However, the said piece of live rock is relatively close the powerhead and I have not done a phosphate test, primarily because the test kit I possess doesnt have a test for it. If it is a phosphate problem, how can I measure my phosphate level and solve the problem?
The thing about my water quality is that I have a thriving colony of zoos and a Xenia, as well as a thriving stock list

meowzer

1st, to test for phosphates...BUY a phosphate test kit
also...I would siphon the bubbles...not blow them around
It would also help if you give the actual test result #'s.....How often do you do water changes? and what do you use for filtration?