Weird spot on Rhinopius

halamaya

I'm back with a problem already. There is a weird white spot on the sides of his. One on each side to match one another. I'm hoping that this is from getting ready to shed.

halamaya

so far I've only gotten him to eat 2 damsels. I tried ghost shrimp today but he didn't eat any while I was watching. Yesterday He was about to eat one and then the ghost shrimp was snatched up by my plesiops.

skate020

i dont know much about these fish but id imagine if they were perfectly symetrical it wouldnt be some kind of infection or anything like tht

fmarini

Halamya_
if you have matching spots- then its usually nothing to be concerned w/. Cloudy eyes, and/or a greying or dulling to its skin are frequently a good indicators. However on many rhinopias its hard to tell, due to coloration, patterns and dermal papillae.
IF i may-- the correct spelling of this genus is called Rhinopias, there is no "u"
Remind me again how long you've had this fish? eating two damsels is pretty good,but not great. however, if this is new fish- then its expected

cranberry

That's probably a natural marking.
You can see it on my guy... the one in the middle of his face is very white. There's another in the same spot on the other side.

cranberry

Found another that shows it well... see how the spot kind of jumps out at you. Could this be what you are seeing on yours?

cranberry

You can see the Eschy has one there as well... it's kind of hiding in that pic. It isn't always there... it comes and goes.

halamaya

That might be it, the color has been changing from a dull yellow to more of a pink color. Didn't notice them until yesterday. They just almost look like a sore spot. Now he's upset at me cause I dropped one of my starfish's algae clips on him. Just a small plastic clip but he doesn't seem to like me much when I'm walking by. I swapped out a couple gallons of saltwater for RO water today. Has anyone ever used VitaminC? I've been using it for about a month, can't say if I've noticed anything or not. Almost forgot HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! Thanks for all the help. I love your pictures Cranberry!!

halamaya

I forgot I was trying out Instant Oceans natural nitrate reducer, has anyone else given this product a try? It's suppose to be pretty good so they say at my LFS.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by Halamaya
http:///forum/post/3199801
I forgot I was trying out Instant Oceans natural nitrate reducer, has anyone else given this product a try? It's suppose to be pretty good so they say at my LFS.
I'd start a new thread on this; it is a question that will result in a lot of back and forth and your original thread title won't draw much attention. My 2 cents; no packaged nitrate reducer works well; and if it did, it would only be a temp fix. Of course your lfs says it works--they sell it. Ask if they have tried it and what the numbers were. BTW, you wouldn't believe how high the nitrates are in most lfs fish-only systems. I once had a sample tested by a friend's office lab and nitrates were over 1000 ppm, and the fish were fine.

halamaya

Lol, it's funny I guess the guy that started this site actually used to live up here. He bought the old equipment from my LFS store. The kids working there would but the guy I deal with wouldn't steer me wrong on PURPOSE. Accidentally however. There are several tests being run on the Instant Ocean natural nitrate reducer. Of course it takes several weeks for the product to begin working. It does say with regular use that the nitrate levels should stay low. Who knows.