Weird things Happening ???

kjord97

here is a short log of events. i was curious if anyone could make out any reason why this is happening. short story is all my zoos where closing up and dieing off for about a month in my 125 reef, moved them all to my 45 gal fowlr and 20 hospital and they opened up and are doing great. DAY 1
So my tank is doing great and everything is thriveing, execpt !!!!! my zoos and polyps. They have all seemed to not open as much over the past month or so. I have been keeping track of water quality and everything is on the money. I have no idea why they have all closed up. Well most of them all. I still have one group of polpys that are looking great and always look great. My green, blue, and orange zoos have all closed up and only seem to half open every now and then. If anyone has any suggestions to help out, please help out. Maybe i am missing something in the tank.
niTrates : 0ppm
niTrites: 0 ppm
ammonia: 0 ppm
ph : 8.3 ish
temp 82
13gal water change every 2 weeks 125 gal tank
add kalkwasser on the odd weekends in between water changes.
food is fed every other day in cycle 1st redstuff 2nd flake 3rd frozen and repeat the cycle.
DAY 3

well after speaking with some guys at WWM i have taken all the zoos out of my tank and placed half in my 45 FOWLR and the other half in the 20 Hospital tank. I am going to give them a month to see how they turn out.
On the other hand, i noticed last night that for the past few days my mushrooms are staying small and jumping off the rocks, my plates are not expanding, and the frogspawn is staying small. The leathers, xenias, ricordia, kenya tree and stoneys look awsome. The only thing i have done to the tank is remove the zoos, and i removed all the caleapera algae from my refugiums. there is still some algae in the refugium, it was another type, looks like a fern. I also order some macro alage off of ----, which should arrive this week. I tested water last night, and trates trites ammon 0ppm, ph 8.2 temp 81 .
I remembered from WWM that alot of people use a small filter on the back of tank with carbon in it, to filter chemicals in the tank. So last night i started up a little fliter with a carbon bag in it. See how that go's.
DAY 5

All 3 tanks have the same setup EXECPT
125 reef 5 gal refugium, skimmer, MH lights and now a carbon filter
45 fowlr ( becoming a reef ) 5 gal refugium, no skimmer, and PC lights and no carbon has zoos and mushrooms from the 125 doing great
20 hospital no refugium, no skimmer, PC lights, hang on filter with a sponge. has zoos, anenomes and xenia from 125 doing great.
in the 125
Performed a 15 gal water change last saturday, checked levels and everything is good as far as trits, trates, ph, temp, salinity, and ammonia.
BAD news all 3 plates have closed, the frogspawn is not comming out as bright and the 2 leathers are not opening, remaing zoos are closed, mushrooms are staying small and some jumping off.
GOOD news The kenya tree is bigger and brighter than ever, xenias are doing great, sps is doing strong, ricordia is doing great, along with candy cane is doing great, anenomes doing great, oyster is open and feeding well and fish are all doing good. i also noticed today that coraline alage was starting to form on the glass again, after last month i noticed it had all disappeared.
I did notice today alot more red slime starting to form so i turned off the protein skimmer and carbon and dosed with Chem Clean. I will wait 48 hours and do a 20 gal water change
:help:
DAY 7

Today when i get home i will be doing a full 20 gal water change and starting the skimmer back up and turing the carbon filter back on.

bojik

Not sure. ONLy thing i can think of is whats your lighting like? How old are the bulbs etc.

Red slime? I'm thinking phosphates, do you know what your phosphate level is? Where are you getting your water? and what is your salinity??

kjord97

yes after some research and meeting with my local saltwater club, we have all come to the coclusion that a high build up of nutrenits and high phospates levels is what is troubleing me. I have been doing massive water changes and started running a kent marine carbon filter for a few days. everything seems to be returing back to normal.

I recommend using Rwophos its a great product for getting rid of phosphates, also try to find your source of phosphates, ie overfeeding, bad water source etc.