Well, I did it!!

luvmyreef

As of Thursday, if all goes well, I will be the owner of a new 180g all glass aquarium!

It will be a sumpless reef tank, but will have a refugium. I have been planning this thing for awhile now.
So excited to finally get it!! Next on the list.....Metal Halides...

forcrz6

Originally Posted by luvmyreef
http:///forum/post/3289095
As of Thursday, if all goes well, I will be the owner of a new 180g all glass aquarium!

It will be a sumpless reef tank, but will have a refugium. I have been planning this thing for awhile now.
So excited to finally get it!! Next on the list.....Metal Halides...

Gratz..
Drill it for a sump, or you will not be happy.

novahobbies

Very cool! Can't wait to see the progress pics...New Build Time!!!
You say you're not doing a sump, which is fine, but how are you plumbing the 'fuge? If the fuge is under the tank, is the DT drilled for overflows or do you have a HOB overflow setup in mind? Or are you going to attempt a fuge above the DT?
Personally I'm a fan of the home made sump/fuge hybrid, but that's just me.

luvmyreef

Ya know, I debated and debated about getting it drilled. I decided not to, I dont want to mess with a sump and its possible problems. I can see it now....uh honey,,,my pump went bad and my sump overflowed ruining your hardwood floors..... So, It will be either a hob, in tank, or above the dt refugium. I am actually more inclined to do the in tank at the back wall, from top to bottom with something like the black overflow covers, or something similar, havent figured out what yet. And I am going to run a canister filter with chemipure only in it, and a skimmer. So, the only thing hob will be the skimmer. I am so pysched to get this thing!!!

luvmyreef

Ok Gill. Pics when I get it Thursday. In the meantime, I need some suggestions on the lights. NikeSB suggested the Lumenbright reflectors with radium bulbs with leds attached to them. What I want is metal halides, some actinic supplements, and moon lights. I think I like the 14000K look and they will have to be 250w x 3. Is it more of a pain to deal with 3 individual light units or one unit with everything? Suggestions welcome.

luvmyreef

Oh my goodness, I am going to have a hard time deciding which one to get with all the suggestions made here!
NOT!! Geesh! Guess I will decide on my own.

J

jstdv8

I've read several posts that say that certain 20k bulbs are less blue than the 14k's, i don't know much about MH's but I hear good things about the phoenix bulbs

luvmyreef

Thanks, I was thinking about the 14k phoenix bulbs. And actually, I can still find the outer orbit fixture online. Although I really like the reefstar low profile fixtures, it would take 3, but I want some actinics and moon lights, and they dont have either. So, I am still looking around and considering all options.

meowzer

Let me tell you ONE downfall with the outer orbit.....The ballasts for the T5HO lights are INTERNAL

I just had one go out :( it was cheap and easy to find, but a PITA to change.....If not for my husband....it would not have been done.....I don't do that kind of stuff...LOL
IF...and hopefully NOT for a long time....I ever had to look for another light for my 225G....I would look for one with ALL EXTERNAL ballasts

meowzer

Originally Posted by luvmyreef
http:///forum/post/3289935
How long have you had these before this happened? Is that a common problem with the outer orbit?
I have had mine since December 2008.....I have no clue if it's common....I hope not...LOL...

luvmyreef

There is not many options out there for combo fixtures that I think are nice. So, I might end up doing what nikesb suggested. I really just wanted a plug and go fixture with the actinics and moonlights included. I can also still find a sunpod, that has the blue and white led's but I dont know if they would be enough. Then, there is the option of keeping with t5's with the nova extreme pro 72 inch 468 watts. I dont know. I am keeping a variety of corals now with them, but want more color...So.....still looking....and debating pros and cons.....this will take forever.......

meowzer

Sorry...I didn't mean to dissuede you from the orbit....I love the look of mine...I love the different plugs, on/off switches......It's just the ballast change was a PITA......i would probably buy another one...LOL

luvmyreef

that's ok. Do you run the 14k phoenix bulbs? How do they compare to the ati t5 bulbs? Have you ever taken a coral from the tank with the t5's and put it under the phoenix? Notice any real color difference? I am still debating whether or not metal halides would be better than a nova t5 fixture..... Either way I am looking to spend up to a thousand on a nice set up, so my options are open....

meowzer

I have the phoenix 14K 250w metal halides....and I now run 2 fiji purple, 4 ati blue plus, and 2 UV Super actinics
I LOVE them